I want an HD PVR

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

I want an HD PVR

Post by jakegub »

So here's the deal. I have a computer with a TV tuner able to receive and record HD signals that are free over-the-air.

What I want is the ability to have a PVR attached to my HD cable box. I don't want to buy someone else's product, so Tivo is out as well as other commercial options. Is there some way to do ALL of the following:

Record HD channels (Not over-the-air ones). I'm talking about the HD networks, HD discovery, HD food, HD Sci-fi, etc.
Control the cable channels on the computer (Make it so my wife doesn't have to use more than one remote for navigating to a channel and setting up a recording)

Actually I think that's it. Those two things would allow me to always have the TV set to display the PC and then you can watch whatever channel you want by choosing it from the PC's TV guide.

Any really obvious solutions I'm not thinking of?
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: I want an HD PVR

Post by Bwall »

Windows 7 Media Center and CableCard....coming Q1 2010.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Bwall wrote:Windows 7 Media Center and CableCard....coming Q1 2010.
If its not dead by then ;) - http://blogs.zdnet.com/home-theater/?p=2058

CableCard is not going over well AT ALL

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

So all of these build-your-own PVR guides and sites are either recording just basic cable and OTA HD? I looked into building a cablecard box a year ago when there was absolutely no way the companies would allow you to use a cable card in unapproved hardware
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

jakegub wrote:What I want is the ability to have a PVR attached to my HD cable box. I don't want to buy someone else's product, so Tivo is out as well as other commercial options. Is there some way to do ALL of the following:

Record HD channels (Not over-the-air ones). I'm talking about the HD networks, HD discovery, HD food, HD Sci-fi, etc.
Control the cable channels on the computer (Make it so my wife doesn't have to use more than one remote for navigating to a channel and setting up a recording)

Actually I think that's it. Those two things would allow me to always have the TV set to display the PC and then you can watch whatever channel you want by choosing it from the PC's TV guide.
I don't think it's doable via Windows Media Center, but if you go for one of the 3rd party apps (SageTV, GB-PVR, etc), you can get that functionality. You'll need a Hauppauge HD-PVR ($250 MSRP, but you can often find it for less online) which records from the component out of your cable box. I believe it already comes with an IR blaster so it can change the channels on your cable box. No easy way to get on-demand, but it should work for all your subscribed HD channels.

Also, since the HD-PVR outputs H.264, you're going to need a fairly capable HTPC.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Here's the problem. Unless you are running old school cable (I.E. a cable straight out of the wall) you will need a card that has an IR Blaster so you can change the channels. I am using a Hauppauge PVR 150 (SD tuner) to change the channels and record shows through my Dish Network set top box.

If memory serves me correctly the ATi HD tuner card has an IR Blaster.

*EDIT*
Just noticed that hnzw_rui stated what I just said and more.