Recovering the drive?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Recovering the drive?

Post by Tim Burton »

I had 2 external drives plugged in (same size). I thought the right one was turned on that I wanted to format. Murphy struck and it was the wrong one. I'd haven't done anything to the drive, except format it.

Is there a way to recover the data that was on there? Is it free? Any help would be appreciated.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Recovering the drive?

Post by shamrok3 »

Nope. Once you format a drive, its contents are unrecoverable. I'm sorry but once you format a drive, that data is gone for good.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

shamrok3 wrote:Nope. Once you format a drive, its contents are unrecoverable. I'm sorry but once you format a drive, that data is gone for good.
Depends if it was a full zeroing of the drive, or just a quick format and deletion of partition tables etc.

Had a quick look, but anything I could see wanted money for it.

Dan

PS. This might be worth a shot: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 139&page=8
Image (<- Clickable)
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I used this along time ago and it worked pretty good. I can't say how much the demo does but it's worth a shot.

http://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Thanks. Nothing on that drive was extremely important, but it'd be nice to have...
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

Hi guys!
Last year I did the stupid thing by formatting my external (backup!)
and I delivered it to a store to get some help. They formatted it and said they couldn't find anything on it!
Then I downloaded recuva and it worked grate! Found almost everything!
I hope it will for you aswell, its freware, only needs registering .here it is http://www.piriform.com/recuva
If you are able to, feel free to support them, they've done a great job with that program!
Good luck!
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

shamrok3 wrote:Nope. Once you format a drive, its contents are unrecoverable. I'm sorry but once you format a drive, that data is gone for good.
Hi there, I'm not a pro, but this is not the truth !
There are companies that does reconstructing of data for a living, and data is almost always just overwritten and more or less available.
You need to use certain software if you want to be sure that data is totally deleted, but that I guess is not everyones need!
If you are lucky you can find it easy by yourself, using freeware like recuva , but if not and the data lost is worth a lot to you you can try and deliver it to people that are experts on it.

Se ya, ColdOut :P
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

Formatting a drive doesn't erase the data on it.
Formatting only erases references to the data.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Don't panic if you accidentally reformat a disk that has useful data. Reformatting does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables.