Intel DX58SO mobo + tall ram + super heatsinks

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Intel DX58SO mobo + tall ram + super heatsinks

Post by crowTrobot »

So I have been looking at all the legit reviews heatsink reviews and thankfully the dx58so is used so I can see which of the top heatsink coolers would fit with tall ram, apparently the answer is none :( I am tempted to get the Corsair H50 but the idle temps are disturbingly high :/. I just ordered patriot extreme vipers so I don't think any of the noctuas or the thermalright heatsinks will fit. Anyone have a DX58SO and using a heatsink that clears tall ram?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Intel DX58SO mobo + tall ram + super heatsinks

Post by bubba »

Most of what blocks the 3rd slot is the spring clips for the Noctua NH-U12P, its gonna be tight to the fins, but if you can rig it with something in place of the spring clips on that side you could be ok...

The True/Ultra 120 on the other hand.. yah your blocked.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

Thanks!

yeah I think I'll just use wires on top to attach the fan.
Although I'm thinking I think I should just get ram that are low profile like a-data, mushkin or gskill (NQ). The tall ram heatsinks really limit my cooling options on this board, its bad enough the local stores here don't carry a big selection of heatsinks (mostly zalmans, ugh..)
skier

Post by skier »

crowTrobot wrote: its bad enough the local stores here don't carry a big selection of heatsinks (mostly zalmans, ugh..)
Zalman is soo Core2 :lol:

it sucks that intel made the board that cramped between the CPU/RAM, so many limitations
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

skier wrote:
crowTrobot wrote: its bad enough the local stores here don't carry a big selection of heatsinks (mostly zalmans, ugh..)
Zalman is soo Core2 :lol:

it sucks that intel made the board that cramped between the CPU/RAM, so many limitations
Not to mention the IOH is actively cooled with a VERY LOUD little fan that also has a VERY STRONG LED (it lights up my entire room). Active cooling on IOH also means that the hot air is being blown downward meeting with the hot air being blown downward by the stock cooler and it is trapped there instead of escaping upwards because of the RAM placement on top while the bottom my GTX 260 is also blowing air upwards. Very poor design on Intel's part compared to ALL x58 boards with ram on the side and heatpipes connecting all the passively cooled IOH with the fets and southbridge so the heat is distributed among them.

Looks like Noctua U12P SE2 is the perfect candidate for this board. Except using maybe sandwich/garbage bag ties to mount the fans on the side facing the RAM. My patriot ram is pretty damn tall, its exactly as tall as the stock heatsink mounted on top of the cpu (minus the fan)
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

How about a 90 degree setup with only 1 fan pushing on the bottom upwards toward the ram? (I must admit the RAM will still block the some of the air but that's better than nothing). Would a thermalright fit this way? I'm going to put it in a full tower case with 2x120mm fans exhaust pulling from the top anyway. The IOH cooler might get blocked on the right but I could just replace that with an aftermarket fan anyway since the one Intel provides is the loudest thing on my system, but I definitely need a fan on that thing since it gets hot to the touch without a fan.

EDIT:
Ah yes!!!!! NH-U12P will fit sideways and completely clear the ram slots if I don't use the top pull fan and just use a push fan on the bottom.