Cleaning heatsink and CPU

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Cleaning heatsink and CPU

Post by Merlin »

If I don't have, and don't know where to get, de-natured alcohol, what should I clean my heatsink and CPU with to get the best cooling results?? My idle temp is 42 with the side removed...44 with the side on. I have a Thermalright 900a with a Sunan 90mm fan.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

I use a combination of >90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol (available everywhere) and q-tips when cleaning my heatsinks. I generally alternate between damp and dry q-tips and keep repeating until no more gunk is visible on the cotton. At that point, I give it a final buff and it's good to go.

GooGone is another popular option for particularly dirty/sticky surfaces, preferably followed by alcohol as mentioned above.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

One4yu2c wrote:I use a combination of >90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol (available everywhere) and q-tips when cleaning my heatsinks. I generally alternate between damp and dry q-tips and keep repeating until no more gunk is visible on the cotton. At that point, I give it a final buff and it's good to go.

GooGone is another popular option for particularly dirty/sticky surfaces, preferably followed by alcohol as mentioned above.
Same here. I've got the 99% isopropyl alcohol and evaporates very quickly. I've also used 91% and I could tell it doesn't evaporate quite as quickly but still works well. I wouldn't go too much lower than 91% purity.
I use a piece of paper towel to get the majority of it off to begin with and then go to the Q-Tips and 99% isopropyl to finish it off. You are supposed to use a "lint free" cloth of some kind but those aren't really that easy to come by so I just use the Q-Tips and paper towel but and VERY careful about checking for stray strands of cotton left behind by the Q-tips or fuzz from the paper towel.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I also use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol; it works well for me, and if you're looking for a lint-free cloth, look no further than those blue shop towels from AutoZone or Advance Auto, or equivalent auto parts store. I've used these before, and I didn't find one lint fiber on my heatsink, even after intensive rubbing and polishing with the same cloth. It's like a soft denim material, only without the lint. Are you using AS 5, btw?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

killswitch83 wrote:if you're looking for a lint-free cloth, look no further than those blue shop towels from AutoZone or Advance Auto, or equivalent auto parts store. I've used these before, and I didn't find one lint fiber on my heatsink, even after intensive rubbing and polishing with the same cloth. It's like a soft denim material, only without the lint.
AAAHHHHHH, good call!!!!
^^This is why these forums are such a great resource. Such a wealth of information and helpful people all at your fingertips. I don't even watch TV anymore (unless it's The Simpsons) because I can just go on the internet and actually LEARN something and enrich myself and be interactive in a community that share my similar hobbies and loves it as much as I do!!!
WOOHOOO!!!! :mrgreen:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, it's the only reason why I keep cable. This place is a wellspring of knowledge, but I personally believe it's only because it's collective knowledge. I know I learned a heck of a lot about new technology, techniques, amongst other things, in the almost 3 months I've been a member. All I gotta say is Cheers!! :)
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

thanks for all the help.
Merlin
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

I got my 99% isopropyl alcohol at Meijer for under $2...
One4yu2c
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by One4yu2c »

gvblake22 wrote:I got my 99% isopropyl alcohol at Meijer for under $2...
Same here - and for those who have never heard of Meijer, it's basically mid-west version/competitor of Wal-Mart.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

You can buy denatured alcohol at Lowes or Home Depot, it should be in the paint section, WalMart or a like store should probably have it as well. Other than that, follow the advice given and go with some 90% or better rubbing alcohol. Also, keep in mid that Arctic Silver has released a cleaning kit for heat sinks and processors that removes all thermal paste and residue .
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

you can also ask at a pharmacy generaly they keep it behind the counter, just let them know that its for cleaning electronics and heatsinks, so you wont have to show them a prescription or something like that.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I tried all kinds of things but guess what: my girlfriends nail polish remover followed by alcohol works best for me.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

sbohdan wrote:I tried all kinds of things but guess what: my girlfriends nail polish remover followed by alcohol works best for me.
Same here, except its now ex-girlfriends nail polish remover :) (bitch)

Another thing is tape/video head cleaner (is actuall isopropyl alcohol anyway)

As infinitevalence said, the chemist/pharmacy has alcohol, $2 worth would be about 100ml !!! thats a lifetime

Just make sure it is alcohol as it evaporates @ room temp... Otherwise a stray drop could be a disaster!!!!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

nail polish remover does work but remember that acetone is an oil based substance so it will leave a residue on the heatsink, if you do use it then go over it with rubbing alch at the very least.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yep, and you can't use the stuff with fragrance either because it has oils in it that will sink into the heatsink and render it useless. I prefer rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol over it, can't say I prefer it over Arctic's cleaning solution because I've never used it.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

infinitevalence wrote:nail polish remover does work but remember that acetone is an oil based substance so it will leave a residue on the heatsink, if you do use it then go over it with rubbing alch at the very least.
killswitch83 wrote:yep, and you can't use the stuff with fragrance either because it has oils in it that will sink into the heatsink and render it useless.
I didn't know that..
Cheers guys
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Anytime, and if you want any more info, I would go to Arctic Silver's website. They have a lot of good info, and cleaning products, and of course home to everyone's favorite: Arctic Silver 5. :)
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Got it all clean and running...I also have a thread in cooling about NB fan....got one at a local electronics store for $10 the net result is a drop of at least 10' C idle and about 15 load. I had no idea that the NB temp could affect CPU temp sooo much...about 4 degrees drop just from the new heatsink and fan on the NB. Thanks for all the help!!! NOw to see if my crash problem is fixed with the temp.
Merlin