Which would you rather have on your next system

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Which technology would you rather have on your next system

ATI Eyefinity & Stereoscopic 3D
40%
NVIDIA PhysX & 3DVision
36%
Don't Care
23%

Total votes: 47

crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Which would you rather have on your next system

Post by crowTrobot »

It looks like people don't think Stereoscopic 3D is any good. Let me tell you, its a much better gain dollar for dollar than SLI/Crossfire. lol

The only downside is you will get low frames if you have a weak card as it has to render full resolution images twice, effectively cutting your fps in half. Hell there are A LOT more games that work in S3D than have PhysX!
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

I have long dreamed of a multi-monitor setup for fragging all the live-long day. eye-finity all the way.
atticus14
Legit User
Legit User

Post by atticus14 »

for me its no contest, physix is nothing to write home about and just a way for developers to cash in by nvidia paying them to use it, open standards are just as good but there is no cash incentive behind them to maximize their use, and typically its not used for more then a few seconds of oohhs and ahhhs that dont affect gameplay anyway.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

PhysX can be used for gameplay. They don't do that since it complicates between having PhysX and not having PhysX. You'll see the awesomeness of physics on GPU once a standard API comes about that works on all GPUs. There will be a jump in physics similar to when graphics were being offloaded onto GPUs for the first time.
atticus14
Legit User
Legit User

Post by atticus14 »

I know it can be used for gameplay and be awesome but games stamped with Physix is an impediment to this goal. so for this argument of
ATI Eyefinity & Stereoscopic 3D
vs
NVIDIA PhysX & 3DVision

I dont even see PhysX as a positive but a negative, because I dont want to support closed standards that divide the industry and consumers. And I think the 3D situation is the same as nvidia is strictly for its own gain while ATI has partnered with several larger companies promoting one standard

so im ready for Bullet Physics
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gdc-2010- ... 31834.html

or Havok
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Bullet sounds totally sweet. Works on all GPUs supporting OpenCL/DirectCompute as well as CPUs and it's free? I can see this API becoming very popular.