Water cooling question

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Water cooling question

Post by vbironchef »

What about the cooler master V-10. Kind of high idle temps but the cooling really kicks in under load. What I think is cool about it is that it cools your memory as well. Price is high, but it seems to be worth it. Just my two cents.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

To be completely honest, the reason I was looking into water cooling is to keep idle temps down. They are pretty high, and I am concerned about the lifespan of the CPU. This hardware isn't cheap, you know :) .
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I ordered the cooler master V-10 for my new rig that I am building. Just waiting for the CPU. Will order another one if this cooler does what it supposed to do. My Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus works but not at a good over-clock. I am dealing with the same issues that you have. I just don't like the idea of having to bleed the watercooling system out every 6 months or so. Doing all the cleaning that is required to keep it working properly. Will let you know how the V-10 works when I get my new CPU. From what I have been reading the V-10 is hard to beat.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

vbironchef wrote:I ordered the cooler master V-10 for my new rig that I am building. Just waiting for the CPU. Will order another one if this cooler does what it supposed to do. My Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus works but not at a good over-clock. I am dealing with the same issues that you have. I just don't like the idea of having to bleed the watercooling system out every 6 months or so. Doing all the cleaning that is required to keep it working properly. Will let you know how the V-10 works when I get my new CPU. From what I have been reading the V-10 is hard to beat.
Use good additive in the water and keep the loop sealed and you should only have to completly bleed it every 18mths or so, with a little top up required every 6mths or so in between.
The only thing you need to do then is change the tubing every 2-3yrs and maybe buy a new mounting bracket for the waterblock when/if you change cpu.
this is where watercooling becomes and investment as a new bracket costs very little and you keep the kit when you upgrade.
My radiator is ~5yrs old and waterblock and pump are ~3yrs old.

I can run my Q9400 @ 3.85Ghz (limited by low multi and ram) with Linx (Intel 64 bit Linpack) stressing all cores and my temps never go above 55C, this is with the room temp at ~20C
There's also the added benefit of low noise.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

Okay, I have successfully narrowed my choices down to, for air cooling, the V-10, and for water cooling, the Corsair H50. Which will it be, people?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I'm sending the V-10 back without even opening the box. To many bad reviews and very power hungry.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

V-10 is just an air cooler with a small pelter. If I were you choosing a high end air over low end water I'd go air all day long. Much less maintenance and possibly more future proof. On top of that the Corsair is sealed so you can't add water to the unit to keep it going.
This would get my vote: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1212/1/
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Major_A wrote:V-10 is just an air cooler with a small pelter. If I were you choosing a high end air over low end water I'd go air all day long. Much less maintenance and possibly more future proof. On top of that the Corsair is sealed so you can't add water to the unit to keep it going.
This would get my vote: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1212/1/
I second the Noctua. I think it actually beats the H50 tbh.

All that and it's pretty damn quiet too. :)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

okay, the noctua it is! Ill order it tonight :mrgreen:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It's a big mammer jammer, what case are you going to be putting it in?

EDIT
Nevermind, I just saw your case and it should fit without a problem.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I RMA my CM V-10 and ordered the Noctua NH-D14 as well.
adamwzl
Legit User
Legit User

Post by adamwzl »

The Corsair H50 is not really considered a "water cooling" system as its very enclosed and you can not add or remove components from the loop. Corsair made it to be a competitor towards high end air coolers. A real complete water cooling system will run you a minimum of $300 as a previous poster has said. For the core i7 a 120.3 radiator is recommended, you can get by with a 2.120 radiator but will not yield as high of an OC. Water cooling gets very expensive if done right. You can do the cheap way (IE plastic barbs, cheap tubing, in expensive blocks and pumps) but its really not worth it in the long run.

You made a great choice going with the Noctua NH-D14 as that will be more than enough for the temps you are trying to reach. Plus you will loose the headache of an WC system. If you want to do a WC system down the road, take the time and do a lot of research. WC now has so many more options and components than it did 5 years ago when I started. Its easy to get into the $500 range just for a CPU loop. Compresion fittings are $$$!!