Computer Will Not Fully Shutdown

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Computer Will Not Fully Shutdown

Post by Major_A »

As stated in the topic title my PC will not fully turn off. Before my TX650 bit the dust I was running Win Vista x64 and it would turn off fine. Now I'm running Win 7 x64 and it only goes into an unrecoverable standby with the fans still spinning.

Before when I turned the PC off I would hear 4 loud clicks (never figured out what they were) and the PC would turn off.

Now I turn the PC off I hear 2 clicks and the fans continue to spin.

Now here's where I'm confused. I put my little E5200 into the same model (I have an extra) motherboard as my own (GA-EP45-UD3P). It is running Vista x64 and when I turn that PC off I hear 2 clicks then it shuts down.

So are the clicks the PC powering down the number of CPU cores or is this something else entirely? It's not really an issue to reach around back and flip the switch on the PSU but at this point I'm just confused.

Info to add:
My PC
See sig
1TB and 750GB hard drives (both Samsung F1)
fan controller
DVD burner
Win 7 x64 Ultimate

E5200 Build:
E5200 (@ 4Ghz - 333x12)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (same BIOS as I'm running [F10 latest on Gigabyte's site - released 02/09/2010]).
4GB DDR2 Patriot Xtreme 800 (or something to that effect)
2x1TB RAID 0 (Samsung F1)
8800 GTS 320MB
DVD burner
OCZ ModXStream 600W
Win Vista x64 Business
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Computer Will Not Fully Shutdown

Post by djpinc19 »

since your OS changed, i want to say it is a driver error
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It was a fresh install. While waiting on my TX 650 to get back I initially installed Win 7 on the E5200. After getting lazy I just swapped parts over to that build.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Those clicks are most likely relays in your power supply tripping. Think of it as 4 shutdown procedures. You hit shutdown, whose job it is to turn off the 4 switches that actually control different aspects of your computer, the first two relays trip, click, click, and some stuff goes off, but the other two don't and some stuff keeps running. It's possible that it's the power supply itself but it may also be an error with the program not properly executing a full shutdown.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The improper shutdown happened with both the OCZ and Corsair power supplies installed.
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Clouseau »

The clicks you hear, in my experience, relate to the HDD driver. The only aspect being changed would be the raid driver version; one would just produce a single click and then power off, the newer version would produce two clicks and then off. Never happened with XP only VISTA 64-bit.
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Aren't the clicks from the HDDs the heads clicking back to the starting position?
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Tomorrow I'll try to find my mic and record the sound and upload it to Hotfile. If I can't find a mic I'll just make a video with my P&S camera and upload that.
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

The clicking is most likely from a hard drive.