OS & gaming preformance

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Legit User
Legit User

OS & gaming preformance

Post by sticky »

To what extent does an operating system improve gaming performance?

I'm told that on a 32 bit OS its pointless having more than 4GB of RAM - apparently you need a 64 bit to allow for up to 8GB of RAM; and yet I'm told that 64 bit doesn't necessarily make gaming more efficient. All the while I'm under the impression that you can't get enough RAM when it comes to boosting game preformance. what do I make of all this?

in regard to the above; what Windows 7 OS would be best suited for gaming?
Last edited by sticky on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattenkrad
Legit User
Legit User

Re: OS & gaming preformance

Post by Kattenkrad »

A game does not necessarily take advantage of the 64 bit instructions in the 64 bit operating system, but it will (probably) take advantage of the more than 3~4 GB RAM that you install.

An example I can give is my Macbook Pro on Win 7 32bit - it only recognizes 3 out of the 4 GB RAM, however, my desktop on Win 7 x64 sees all 6 GB.
Legit User
Legit User

Post by sticky »

So where would more than 6 GB of RAM come into play?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Games will rarely use that much. 6GB will come more into play on how many programs can be open at once. or if a certain program requires that much.(that's the extent of my knowledge on that one) Games can take advantage of a 64 bit OS if they are written to do so, just like if a game was written to use more than one core.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Kattenkrad
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Kattenkrad »

That's a hard question to answer. Right now, most the the AAA titles aren't using all of the RAM except in some isolated cases. But I remember at GDC this year, I attended a talk that mentioned that since users were starting to get quad cores and 64bit systems with 6 GB of RAM installed by default, developers should start making more games that take advantage of these benefits.

So I would say that, 95% of games now don't use all the RAM, but they will soon. The main use of huge amounts of RAM are for 'power' users, especially with graphics programs.
Legit User
Legit User

Post by sticky »

I was think just that - games down the track would definitely cater to more resource. However - in terms of today's games - given that a 64 bit would consume more resource, or at least take up more space on the the hard drive, a 32 bit might be more appropriate anyway?
Kattenkrad
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Kattenkrad »

A 32bit binary and a 64bit binary are roughly the same size once compiled and linked. What matters is that a 64bit binary cannot work on a 32bit architecture OS because they call instructions that don't exist on the 32 bit machine. In general, additional development work needs to be done to make 64 bit versions of software.
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

Just get Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. On new egg at least there is no price difference between the 64 and 32bit versions, so there is really no reason not to get the 64bit version.

As for game performance, anything over 4gb should not make a difference unless you are running multiple apps.

Typically game performance is limited by your Graphics Card, and then maybe by your processor, then maybe the ram. But with todays cpus and large amounts of ram they are rarely the issue.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
ratNukit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ratNukit »

I only now of Grand Theft Auto IV, which takes up more than 4 gigs while playing, it's sometimes at 5gig, so I upgraded to 8 gigs and it ran a lot smoother, but thats still the only game I noticed a change. Some games do have a 64 bit binary e.g. Crysis.
I agree with Sttm, there's no reason not to go 64bit, as far as I know.