ADSL filters

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

ADSL filters

Post by DMB2000uk »

Hey, this might be considered as off topic, so if it is could an admin move it to the correct forum :P

Right, i was wondering if ADSL filters can be used backwards? Strange question i suppose, but im considering getting one to filter a phone (well duh!) but its an inline RJ11 one, as an oppose to a BT type plug splitter thing, so i could plug it in next to the phones base station. So i was wondering if there is anything inside it that might stop it working correctly when its plugged in backwords, like a diode say.

The wiring setup would 'look' like this:

BT Pone socket --> BT male - RJ11 male cable --> Wrong end of filter(!) (RJ11 female) --> RJ11 Male --> Phone Base station (RJ11 Female)

So far I've only been able to find ones that already have a RJ11 male to the phone socket (must be american i think) where as ideally I'd like a pass through thing with RJ11 female connections on either end.

Anyone still with me? Anyone know if it would work? Anyone got any better suggestions? (and does anyone know of any shops that would sell like a 3" RJ11 cable :P )

Cheers all,

Dan
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I think it will work! --> the filter will drop high frequencies....

They have only a copper wire and a resistor thing inside...

To be honest not sure --> just try... If fails - you can pick up a new filter for a few quid :P