What Should My Page File Be Set To?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

What Should My Page File Be Set To?

Post by deleted »

I've heard about the 1.5x rule which would make my 2GB be set to 3000initial 6000max, but is this a good amount? I've been having trouble with my system randomly locking up and having the audio loop for about 5 seconds and then resuming normally. I'm thinking it could either be the page file, cpu, or ram. I ran the newest Memtest 86 for 2 hours with 0 errors so I guess I could eliminate that option. The CPU IS overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz @ 30C but I've never had any trouble before... My paging file was set to system managed size previously and I think I should probably change that... The only thing I did recently was make a TF2 autoexec.cfg last night and yesterday I didn't have the problem sooooo.... Any help would be appreciated :DDDD!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: What Should My Page File Be Set To?

Post by Major_A »

I haven't messed with my Page File in years. From what I remember messing with it was when 1GB of memory was awesome. All the page file does is cache info for your RAM. So in theory the more memory you have the less page file you need. Honestly though I wouldn't even bother with it, you won't notice a difference.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

System managed should be fine. Your problem probably lies elsewhere.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Update your sound drivers. Fortunately for people who use Realtek HD they are updated about once a month.
http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Defi ... d4902.html

What version of drivers are you running for your video card?
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Newest video card drivers for my GTS 250, 197.45. I haven't tried any new sound drivers since I built my PC about 2 years ago LOL. Are sound drivers installed the same way as video drivers? They just go overtop the other drivers without having to uninstall the older drivers?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Yes. But it's a good idea from now on it uninstall your video card drivers before you install new ones. I've had issues doing this even in Vista with nVidia hardware. Uninstalling the old ones and installing "fresh" solved the problem.

Anecdotal story:
Many moons ago my brother in law was obsessed with Desert Combat. At one point the screen would mess up then the sounds would mess and eventually go away all together. Turns out it just needed a soundcard driver update and all was right in the universe of Desert Combat again.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Could the problem be a faulty power supply. I have a Raidmax-SS 530w.... which should be enough to power everything.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I don't think so, this sounds like a driver/software issue to me.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

It still happened after I installed the drivers. I opened up my case and swapped my ram into different slots (I only have two slots side-by-side) and the issue hasn't presented itself yet. Will notify if it occurs again.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Download Super Pi Mod (here) and run the 32M test. If you get an exact round error your RAM isn't right. Meaning it just need more voltage, looser/correct timings or it is faulty.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

The problem could have been resolved just by turning off and unplugging my computer for a few minutes while I swapped the RAM. Therefore resetting my CMOS and clearing the problem maybe...
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Ran the super pi/mod1.5xs thing and it completed without any error in 24minutes and 29.687 seconds.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Your CMOS doesn't reset unless you swap the jumper or remove the battery on the board. If it did then your CPU wouldn't still be overclocked.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

My CPU isn't overclocked when I unplug my PC for 30 seconds... and my system time has to be adjusted as well.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sounds like your battery is bad then bud. It is not supposed to do that, but then again it's an ECS board so all bets are off.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I'm buying a P6T when I get the money :D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you set your BIOS back to the default settings then something with your overclock isn't right.
Could be any or a combination of:
1) RAM not getting enough voltage
2) RAM running too tight of timings
3) CPU not getting enough voltage
4) Could be an ECS thing, sorry about knocking the brand I've had 3 of their boards, 2 died within 2 months unexpectedly and the other never worked quite right.

Have you checked for a BIOS update? Even if you plan on upgrading I'd still pick up a new battery, the non-medical versions are under $2.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Everything look okay Major A.? Image
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I need a new BIOs update. I've never updated my BIOs before, could you find one maybe?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Suggestions - see picture.

I looked for a new BIOS but this board seems to be an OEM sold to Gateway. The board isn't even listed on ECS' website.