temperature software

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

temperature software

Post by Wavid »

i have serious doubts about amd's overdrive software..i was doing some light browsing, and the temps were great, around 32.5C, but when i go to a full-screen 3d application, (Runescape, for example) it shoots up to 66C, as soon as the page loads. do CPUs really have this much of a problem with temperatures? my cooling is the in-box AMD retail HS/F. i want to upgrade to a NH-CP12 SE14 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product). will this help any?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: temperature software

Post by bubba »

I will be better then the stock cooler that is for sure.

I haven't used the NH-C12P SE14, but I did review the 120mm original version. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/723/1/
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

You can always try:
HWMonitor v1.16 x86 or HWMonitor v1.16 x64
Everest Ultimate Edition v5.50.2143 - Trial
Speedfan v4.40
HWM Blackbox v2.00 x86&x64
Speccy v1.01.132
Real Temp v3.40 or CoreTemp v0.99.6 x86/CoreTemp v0.99.6 x64 - forget which one supports AMD

There are others but these should point you in the right direction. If you CPU is getting that hot then...
A) The heatsink isn't installed correctly.
B) The fan on the heatsink isn't working.
C) The heatsink needs to be reseated with new TIM.
D) The temperatures are in fact incorrect and there was a BIOS update to fix it.

What motherboard do you own? Maybe this is an issue with the board. What brand/wattage power supply do you own? Sometimes cheap power supplies supply "dirty" power and that can influence temperatures.

*EDIT*
Ok, it's CoreTemp that supports AMD.
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Wavid »

I have an ASUS M4A79XTD-EVO, i use an OCZ ModXStream 500w. the fan is spinning, and i noticed that EPU-4 controls voltage as well, so whenever its in High Performance, Vcore goes up to 1.3V, and temps follow up to ~62-65C.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Turn all that off and see if it helps. Sometimes motherboards "AUTO" feature is bad at giving too much juice.

BIOS files available on ASUS' website.

Version 2001 - Build date: 4/2/10 - Download this and install it if you don't already have it, see below. Newer BIOS files include previous fixes.
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
Version 0901 - Build date: 3/5/10
Improve system stability when using EPU and AOD at the same time.
Version 0507 - Build date: 8/25/09
Improve ACC unleashing mode function.

*EDIT*
Is EPU-4 similar to AOD? If that's the case then I would pick one and uninstall the other. All my Gigabyte boards are overclocked in the BIOS and I don't even have EasyTune installed on any of the computers.