CCNA here I come

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

CCNA here I come

Post by FeRaL »

Well, after taking a seven month break from anything scholastic (I graduated with my BA last summer) I have decided it’s time to get working on certifications. I just spend the past two months doing fix-it / odds-and-ends work on my condo and we are nearly done with getting it refineced.

So, I did some online shopping and my new endeavor arrived on my doorstep yesterday…

It’s time for roughly 1000 pages of mind numbing reading/studying to get my CCNA.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: CCNA here I come

Post by Major_A »

What did you get your BA in? Is this to enhance your degree or you need it for a specific job, or to get a job at all? I have a piece of paper that says BBA on it, should say POS cause I can't find jack.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Business Admin with concentration in Management of Information Systems. Getting the cert mainly to enhance the degree and to move into an IT career path that I want to be going down. Luckily I have a job in IT, I just don't enjoy it... 8(
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nice!

I'm studying for CCNA myself, will be taking the ICND1 exam in a couple of weeks.
You should look into buying some used cisco gear on eBay when you reach the second 1/2 (ICND2)
Makes life a whole lot easier.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Awesome, thanks for the advice kenc51.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Since you went Business admin you may want to get you PiMP Cert first.

Yeah, Just kidding about the TLA. It should read PMP. You project managers out there you already know you are pimping your resources (people) for the project(s) at hand.

But serioudly, if you are going for more of the management side then you may find the PMP to be as helpful a cert as the CCNA. You might even find it is a required cert.

http://www.pmi.org/
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

I just finished 2 years in Computer Networking and took bunch of Networking Cisco courses. I am going to write the CCNA test to get the certification as well. I am starting to forget everything so I need to study from the beginning and one of my friend just wrote the test and he passed it. I'm too lazy to write this test.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Vectrexer wrote:Since you went Business admin you may want to get you PiMP Cert first.

Yeah, Just kidding about the TLA. It should read PMP. You project managers out there you already know you are pimping your resources (people) for the project(s) at hand.

But serioudly, if you are going for more of the management side then you may find the PMP to be as helpful a cert as the CCNA. You might even find it is a required cert.

http://www.pmi.org/
The only reason why I went Business Admin as because that is the only program in my area that offered anything with Management of Information Systems concentration. I really don't want to be a "Project Manager" it's not in my genetic makeup.. 8) I would much rather to technical work and/or manage or lead technical groups/teams. I actually hear there is a PMP style cert that is targeted directly at IT, but I can't remember the name of it right now.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

kenc51 wrote:Nice!

I'm studying for CCNA myself, will be taking the ICND1 exam in a couple of weeks.
You should look into buying some used cisco gear on eBay when you reach the second 1/2 (ICND2)
Got any recommendations as to what hardware I should get for the ICND2 test?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

FeRaL wrote:
kenc51 wrote:Nice!

Got any recommendations as to what hardware I should get for the ICND2 test?
No specifics, just any old 10/100 Catalyst switch and may be a DSL router
Don't get draw into buying a used "lab" - This will be a couple (if not more) of switches and a router or two.
This is only useful if you want to go further and study for CCNP/IE etc.
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

Just out of curiosity.

How many exams are there for CCNA?? I mean there is CCNA for the certification and there is also CCNAD or something?? I know that there are few of them but one of them is really hard to do and if someone does gets that then it's money. Anyone know about it??
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

CCNA = 2 exams
ICND1 & 2 (Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices part 1 & 2)

Lots of useful info here
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/commu ... ifications
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

kenc51 wrote:CCNA = 2 exams
ICND1 & 2 (Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices part 1 & 2)

Lots of useful info here
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/commu ... ifications
Thank you for the website, very useful.