Project: Water Cooling

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Project: Water Cooling

Post by tekgek »

Hello, everyone! Today, I am have begin my endeavour to build a water cooling system for my computer. Now, I already have perfectly good cooling, so some of you may ask why, then, would I need water cooling? The answer is, because I want to add it to my list of accomplishments :mrgreen:

Since I do not have too much to spend on the parts, the list of materials will seem a little odd:

Slightly used Swiftech H20-220 for tubing, fittings, and radiator.
New Swiftech Apogee GTZ Ci7 water block
New Swiftech MCP350 pump

All of these parts are coming tomorrow, so I will be posting pics tomorrow evening.

Just htought I would share my first water cooling system with you all.

Tekgek
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Project: Water Cooling

Post by bubba »

If the tubing for the H20 is used you're going to want to get new tube. You can get tube at hardware stores fairly cheap 3/8 or 1/2. Online you can get better tube and still cheap. Masterkleer 7/16id, works great for 1/2" fittings, roughly 0.69/foot. What size fittings are you using?

I'd also give all the used stuff a good cleaning. Run as hot a water you can stand to put your hand in through the RAD couple times. Fill it, drain slightly, give a good shake, rinse, repeat. Do that a couple times then do a final rinse with distilled water.

Rise all the new stuff a couple times with distilled water.

Look forward to the build
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

the hoses are not used, only the radiator, really. I will be rinsing it with distilled water. As for the hoses, I will be using 3/8 inch hoses and fittings. I will most likely end up buying uv-sensitive hoses and a blacklight to make the system look awesome.
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

Im still too scared to touch water cooling myself; so I am looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. Many pictures please and Good Luck.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

I am currently building the cooling system. Expect pics tonight.

Tekgek
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Thank God you decided on a real pump/block.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about21686.html

There must be a reason why this isn't even on Swiftech's website any longer. I'll give you a hint, it's because it's a piece of garbage.
http://www.swiftnets.com/
No H20-220 and no Apogee Drive 350 self-powered waterblock. Actually found the page for this setup and it's discontinued.
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/h20-220-compact.asp
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

no wonder i was able to find the 220 so cheap, and in such good condition! The actual apogee drive 350 is a piece of crap, but I never had problems with leaks. Did you ever find out why they were occuring?

Oh, BTW, the actual installation took longer than expected. So pictures will be up tomorrow morning

Tekgek
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

They were occurring because the unit wasn't sealed properly. I sealed the unit myself and and not a drop.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

Okay, I have a big problem... The CPU is registering an 85 C temperature. The OS is shutting down before it is even booting. What is going on here? I have checked flow, and it seems fine... A problem with the CPU? Im running Core i7 920. This is kinda scary... any help is appreciated.

Tekgek
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Do you have the inlet and outlet mixed up on the block/radiator?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Make sure the block is seated all the way as well as oriented the right way.

The Z on the block should be running with the locking arm. The inlet is the low fitting below the G it also has a dot next to it.

You could also have air in the system. How long did you bleed the air from the loop prior to starting the system?

To run the pump with out starting the system you have to jump start the PSU. Unplug everything but the pump. If the PSU has a switch turn it off, if not unplug it from the wall. On the main 24 pin connector stick a paper clip to jumper the green wire to any black. wrap some tape around it to be safe, plug in the PSU and/or switch it on.

run the loop like this for several hours, rocking the case side to side, front to back, till the water runs clear and you dont see bubbles.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

First of all, I would like to sincerely give really big thanks to Major_A and bubba for helping me with this. I probably would be even still farther behind than I am now if it wasn't for your help.

Second, I have cheched all inlets and outlets, bled all air out of the system for three hours, and still, when I boot up the system, temperatures begin rising from 39 C to 85 at a rate of about 1 C per second. I am out of ideas. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you,
Tekgek.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

You are sure you have sufficient pressure coming out of the pump correct? It won't hurt anything but try reseating the heatsink and apply a new layer of TIM.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

I have spent the last hour reconfiguring everything, and discovered my main problem that I am amazed I did not see: the pump was not positioned properly, so the coolant was being pumped against gravity. Now, the coolant is flowing as it should, and the CPU is running at about 45 C. Again, thank you all for helping me through my first water cooling setup. :mrgreen: I WILL have pics posted tonight.

Cheers!
Tekgek
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

tekgek wrote:I have spent the last hour reconfiguring everything, and discovered my main problem that I am amazed I did not see: the pump was not positioned properly, so the coolant was being pumped against gravity. Now, the coolant is flowing as it should, and the CPU is running at about 45 C. Again, thank you all for helping me through my first water cooling setup. :mrgreen: I WILL have pics posted tonight.

Cheers!
Tekgek
That sounds like it is still running pretty hot. My friend just built an i7 920 system with a different HSF and his idle temps are roughly 35*C.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Not sure what fans he is using (if any) as well as room temp, that would affect temps. A pic would really be helpful.
-Thomas Jefferson
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Bump, Let's see some pics :)
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

Okay, its time for pics :) . I had to reposition the pump again, so in the images below, the pump will be in two different positions. Also, some will be darker than others. My battery almost died, so the flash did not go off in some of the images.

I will upload some more later, after my phone charges. Until then, enjoy!

Tekgek
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Nice! :) Clean up the crows nest of wires and your golden. What are your temps?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Your temp issue is due to the rad. The res top rad you have is NOT to be mounted flat like you have it.

Vertical, res to top only.

You're getting air trapped in the res in the top of the rad, then you get the bubble run through the system.

Need a rad box and hang the rad off the back like this, but res top up and fittings at bottom and run the hoses through an open expansion slot.
radbox-installation-mockup-.gif
radbox-installation-mockup-.gif (34.53 KiB) Viewed 12045 times
pci-bracket.gif
pci-bracket.gif (13.51 KiB) Viewed 12045 times
-Thomas Jefferson