Will This Work? - Drive Image Restoration

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Will This Work? - Drive Image Restoration

Post by Major_A »

Right now I'm rocking a single 1TB drive where Windows is installed. I have the latest Intel software installed and running in AHCI mode. If I create an Acronis image of the drive and install 2 more drives and run them in RAID 0 will the image install correctly? It seems like it should since I already have the Intel software installed but there are different drivers for AHCI and RAID. Anyone have a clue? I don't want to reinstall all my software and games back onto my computer if I don't have to.

I am aware that RAID 0 is a bad idea. But I didn't buy 3 drives to not use all the space (RAID 1/5/10).
Last edited by Major_A on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Will This Work? - Drive Image Resotaration

Post by tekgek »

Well, If you can make the Raid array appear as a single drive, then this should not be a problem. The worst that could happen is the installation fails and you have to go back to using the drives separately. But if you have the image backed up on a external hard drive then you wont loose your data anyway. The only complication I see is, you would have to install the Raid drivers in Windows before you produce the image. I'd say worth a try! :)

Tekgek

Oh, one more thing: How big will your boot partition be?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Will This Work? - Drive Image Resotaration

Post by Major_A »

2TB, it's a limitation with Windows/Intel RAID controller. Before Win 7the largest a boot drive could be was 2TB. Apparently they changed that to 17TB (or something like that) in Win 7. However, when I create a single 3TB array Intel's software will not allow it to be bootable. So I'll partition the 3TB array to 2 partitions. 2TB for OS and applications and 1TB for games. Stripped across 3 drives I should see a noticeable improvement in speed.
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Will This Work? - Drive Image Restoration

Post by tekgek »

Excellent, then it sounds like this should work. Good luck.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Why not keep the 1tb drive for the boot drive and just RAID the other 2? If you are not going to have any parity on them I really don't see a reason to include the boot drive in the array.

Just my opinion :)

Honestly you could just leave the drives separate and use each one for something different. Just throw your swap file on one of the extra drives or the RAID for better performance.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I would never put ~1TB or larger drives into RAID0
The amount of bad sectors on each drive will be enormous (which are there even on a new drive), then multiply that by 2 or 3.
You should just put them into a RAID5 array.

Not going to even mention the standard risks associated with RAID0 on 3TB of data
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm aware of the risks. Everything I hold a value on is backed up to 2/3 places. Even wallpapers are saved on a single drive.