HS/F Orientation

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

HS/F Orientation

Post by Wavid »

My Xigmatek Dark Knight should be coming soon in a week or so (sorry guys, i'll order from the link next time. #-o ) and I saw some articles out on some other sites saying that having the heat pipes facing from front to back (with the fan exhausting out the top) was better than having it so the fan would be blowing air out the back.

I have a NZXT Lexa S with 120mm front intake, side intake and back exhaust, with a 140mm top exhaust. thanks!
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HS/F Orientation

Post by Sttm »

It certainly sounds good, you got air from the front, going past the HD, Ram, and then getting sucked out the top, you have air from the side blowing across the gpu, and would then get pushed up thru the CPU cooler and out the top, or some it out the back.

If you end up put it blowing out the top, id try changing the rear exhaust to an input, and see if pushing in some fresh air onto those heat pipes helps the temps.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you can I'd have the heatpipes running vertically with the fan(s) pushing/exhausting out of the back. However, this option might not be available to you (motherboard mounting holes). Either way will work and if one works better than the other it's probably only a degree or two Celsius.

Example of how I'd run it.
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/revi ... 14_017.jpg
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Some coolers to perform better when the heatpipes are laying flat (fan blowing up) some do not. Also depends on the the case and if it has a top exhaust. In my test case it doesnt work well as the air flow is blocked by the PSU, and there is no top exhaust.

There are some coolers that want the cooler mounted a certain way in relation to the CPU itself. Some waterblocks are this way as well.

Easiest way to see which way round is best for your setup is test both ways.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Wavid »

ah, sorry for reviving the topic, but does it matter which way you apply TIM on the heat pipes? i'm using AS5 on a Xigmatek DK.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

for HDT coolers you want to put it on like this

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

good to know (for my one direct touch cooler)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you do the normal drop in the center of the chip it gets caught in the gaps and doesnt spread right.

-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

well i either do an X or drops in center and four corners, but i use enough that when i pull the heatsink off the whole cpu IHS is covered anyway :\
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Wavid »

thanks bubba, i'll use your method.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

bubba wrote:If you do the normal drop in the center of the chip it gets caught in the gaps and doesnt spread right.

Dang, now that is scary!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

bubba wrote:for HDT coolers you want to put it on like this
It never occurred to me to apply the TIM this way on any of my heatpipe coolers. I still concentrate on the application to the CPU more than the heatsink though.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I only do this for the HDT coolers. For all the flat base coolers I put the line down the center of the chip as Arctic Silver states for the instructions. I do this for the HDT because in all the ways I tried this was the best for HDT coolers that the cracks in the base didn't suck the TIM up into them as the cooler heated up.

Some TIM say to use the X method, some state you 5 dot method (center dot and 4 corners), some use the butter bread method (buttering the cpu in a thin layer)

There is SO many ways to do it, this was the best repeatable way I found for the HDT coolers.
-Thomas Jefferson