AMD vs Intel

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

AMD vs Intel

Post by k2ray »

I don't know if this has been talked about in a previus post but I was recently at a PC mutli-complex store in Hong Kong where one retailer informed that I shouldn't buy a laptop with AMD since they heat up too much unlike intel chips. What do others on here think about this. For example where bundled notebooks are concerned is Intel best? TIA for any feedback.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

*WARNING* This may start a flamewar and get locked, just so you know. AMD procs are generally faster in games (with the new A64) because of the onboard memory controller. Intel rules at MP3 encoding and "productivity" apps, that's my $.02
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by k2ray »

Thanks for giving me your $0.2. Sovereign, which of them is in your notebook? TIA
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Sovereign wrote:*WARNING* This may start a flamewar and get locked, just so you know. AMD procs are generally faster in games (with the new A64) because of the onboard memory controller. Intel rules at MP3 encoding and "productivity" apps, that's my $.02
i'd agree with that assessment
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by k2ray »

Thanks for the feedback audiophile! I'm still in two-minds about AMD though. Maybe I need to read up on threads in the AMD processor forum or something.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

There will be no flame war.... not on this site.
Everyone has an opinion and regardless of whether someone agrees or disagrees you have a right to post it.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Sovereign wrote:*WARNING* This may start a flamewar and get locked, just so you know. AMD procs are generally faster in games (with the new A64) because of the onboard memory controller. Intel rules at MP3 encoding and "productivity" apps, that's my $.02
Also, stay on topic. He asked about mobile processors and heat issues.
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by k2ray »

capper5016 wrote:
Also, stay on topic. He asked about mobile processors and heat issues.
Hi capper would you or any other administartor happen to know good reviews/links on AMD's heat issues? TIA
Last edited by k2ray on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreMustCrush
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by OgreMustCrush »

Well, in my opinion the best notebook chips are Intel's Pentium M. AMD's Turion is somewhat promising, but doesn't yet have much market penatration. Though, saying that AMD chips heat up too much for laptops is just plain out ignorant. If you take Intel's P4 and AMD's Athlon 64, they are both pretty hot to use in a laptop, but the P4 is definitly hotter. My friend has an alienware with a P4, and when we were putting in a mini-pci wireless card we both burnt ourselves on the metal plate underneath the keyboard. And that was just the latent heat after the machine was turned off.
meh
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by k2ray »

OgreMustCrush wrote:Well, in my opinion the best notebook chips are Intel's Pentium M. AMD's Turion is somewhat promising, but doesn't yet have much market penatration. Though, saying that AMD chips heat up too much for laptops is just plain out ignorant. If you take Intel's P4 and AMD's Athlon 64, they are both pretty hot to use in a laptop, but the P4 is definitly hotter. My friend has an alienware with a P4, and when we were putting in a mini-pci wireless card we both burnt ourselves on the metal plate underneath the keyboard. And that was just the latent heat after the machine was turned off.
I guess one also has to take into consideration the amount of cooling available in the laptop. Since some notebook brands use both Intel & AMD processors do they take into consideration each's pros and cons or is the layout pretty much the same?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I have no experience with AMD's Turion, but I do think the Intel Pentium M is a great processor.....and I'm a big AMD fan. As to reviews, I will look around and see if i can find one from a site I trust. Nate is the lappy guru, so let him chime in on this.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_conten ... e%5Ftest=1
Last edited by LVCapo on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

as for mobile heating issues, i'd probably say that they're both about the same... nothing big. however, i'm pretty sure i've read some places that the dothan has much better temps per power consumption over the turion.

here's a link in which you might find interest

anyways, if i had the chance to build myself a laptop (given the instructions by the legit review team), i'd definitely go with pentium m.

for one, it's got a better resale value than does a turion. secondly, it's, in my opinion, a marginally better processor for laptops. however, if you decide that you don't want it in your laptop anymore, you can pull it out and put it in an asus ct-479 and an asus board and run that thing at amd fx-53/55 gaming speeds.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

that salesman was behind in times. it used to be true that intel was running much cooler than amd in desktops. this was only until p4C (northwood). as pentium 4E (prescott) appeared it surpassed anything from before in heating up (I have one I know :( ). now mobile CPU's are a different stuff. they run cooler and use less power (less heat),
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

which salesman?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I don't know if this has been talked about in a previus post but I was recently at a PC mutli-complex store in Hong Kong where one retailer informed that I shouldn't buy a laptop with AMD since they heat up too much unlike intel chips. What do others on here think about this. For example where bundled notebooks are concerned is Intel best? TIA for any feedback.
well er, retailer... same thing.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

In my personal experience your going to find that Intel is currently making better mobile chips. AMD has an excelent desktop cpu its very powerful and is great for gaming. When it comes to the mobile market though they seem to fail some what when it comes to heat and battery performance. Intel on the other hand has very powerful cpus that also get great batter life and have low thermal output.

When it came to deciding for my self what to get for my laptop the choice was easy, i need battery life and portiblity more than i need gaming power. Because of that Intel was my choice.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

For thermal management and battery life (not talking balls to the wall performance), then Pentium M is the shiz IMHO. Intel does have great power saving technology, something good for those who use lappies on college campuses, for example. It's also good for business/portable office use as well (otherwise known as an on-the-go type). Since I'm limited in knowledge on lappies, I would toss that one to Nate. And personally, I wouldn't OC a lappie, just because I really wouldn't see the need in it when there's a desktop at home that I have great thermal management on. I would strictly use my lappie as a work tool. What I would really, REALLY like to see is some form of watercooling for a notebook. That would keep the temp down nicely, and it would make for good OC potential, as well as great gaming. And wait I shall........
k2ray
Legit User
Legit User

Post by k2ray »

killswitch83 wrote:For thermal management and battery life (not talking balls to the wall performance), then Pentium M is the shiz IMHO. Intel does have great power saving technology, something good for those who use lappies on college campuses, for example. It's also good for business/portable office use as well (otherwise known as an on-the-go type). Since I'm limited in knowledge on lappies, I would toss that one to Nate. And personally, I wouldn't OC a lappie, just because I really wouldn't see the need in it when there's a desktop at home that I have great thermal management on. I would strictly use my lappie as a work tool. What I would really, REALLY like to see is some form of watercooling for a notebook. That would keep the temp down nicely, and it would make for good OC potential, as well as great gaming. And wait I shall........
I'm definately with you on that one. And thanks for your interpritation on the 411!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

apple tried with their g5, but couldn't
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

I'm not a laptop guru at all, but I have to concur with the opinions here so far. Intel has the mobile cpu's down, moreso than AMD does. That's not to say that AMD won't come out with one that rips Intel's Centrino apart, but it hasn't happened yet. So for now, stick with Intel. The Centrino's produce much less heat than pretty much anything else you can put in a laptop. And yes, that retailer didn't know what he was talking about. He was at least 5 years behind the times.