Weird trouble with the core i7

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

Weird trouble with the core i7

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, I got a cooler for the core i7 from a very generous person but now I can not get the system to stay on. I have tried a bunch of things to try and fix it but every time i turn it on, it will start to load then shut off. Sometimes it will even turn back on itself.

I am about to disassemble the whole thing and reassemble it again to make sure i do not have anything loose, unless any of you have a better suggestion.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weird trouble with the core i7

Post by Apoptosis »

check to make sure all the pins are okay in the socket and maybe you can re-seat the CPU at the same time
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by nightblood »

check the temperatures in the bios
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

check for thermal paste :lol:

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
skier

Post by skier »

is it getting into the windows loader or not even past POST?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Does the cooler use a backplate? Does that backplate have a layer of insulation between it and the motherboard? What I'm getting at here is if it uses a backplate it may be a grounding issue.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Make sure the mounting hardware is seated all the way to the cooler base as well when you pull the cooler. :-k
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

tried reseating the cooler and replaced the bubble gum with real thermal paste - still same problem.

well I am going to completely tear the whole thing down and start from scratch. I just seems like something is loose somewhere with the way it kicks off.

Oh and sometimes it will reach windows, sometimes before POST. I checked in BIOS once for the temps and everything was fine, so it is not from overheating.

Main thing i am wondering is if the CPU was killed from that f*&^ing Domino ALC water cooler dying on me 3 separate times :(

We shall see once i do a complete teardown, hopefully this weekend!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

don't forget memtest!

and I assume you are using stock settings right? /CLR CMOS
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

skier wrote:don't forget memtest!

and I assume you are using stock settings right? /CLR CMOS
I cleared CMOS right after the first time it shut off itself :)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

KnightRid wrote:Main thing i am wondering is if the CPU was killed from that f*&^ing Domino ALC water cooler dying on me 3 separate times :(
Doubt it, all newer CPUs have measures built-in to keep this from happening. If you were rocking an old P3 or Athlon then that might be the case.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Just to update everyone, I took Sunday off to relax with some football and cigars so I did not get this ripped apart yet. Will try today if I have time after laundry ;)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Is your rig still overclocked? Maybe just go back to stock speeds and overclock once your rig boots. I hope everything works out for you.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

What Motherboard is in that system? i know its posted somewhere but im lazy today.....

having the Domino fail 3 times could possibly do some damage......

Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

IT IS RUNNING!!! woohoo

finally stripped it bare and redid it and now it is working. Maybe i had a loose power connector or something else weird, but for now, it is working.

I really should make this my main computer and relegate the Q6700 I am on now to a folding system but i am going to wait a while and make sure the i7 is gonna run stable ;)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:What Motherboard is in that system? i know its posted somewhere but im lazy today.....

having the Domino fail 3 times could possibly do some damage......

DX58SO is what is in there - seems to be running fine now, let's hope it is stable!