New case

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

New case

Post by Wavid »

What's the airflow like on a retail computer? I was thinking about replacing my Lexa S with something more accommodating (better wire management, more space, etc.) and using my Lexa S to house my dad's old Pentium machine.

The pentium was in an HP MediaCenter, and the fan is just screaming all the time.
That was confusing. Here's the gist.

Buy new case -> use the old case (Lexa S) to house old Pentium -> better airflow=lower temps, lower temps=less fan noise.

Thanks!
skier

Re: New case

Post by skier »

is it a pentium4 or III/older?

a lot of prebuilt systems use proprietary motherboards, and they make the board fit that one specific case, so you cannot upgrade the case or CPU cooling without serious modding or simply buying a new board (our Dell Dimension has this, and the 775 mounting holes only fit that one case so you can't change the heatsink without swapping out the chassis and motherboard)

I would just replace the fan itself if you can, that and cleaning it may be your best option.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: New case

Post by Wavid »

alright, thanks skier. I'm fairly sure it's a pentium 4 (the ones that have a really high-pitched fan).

I'll do some serious cleaning of dust then.