computer tracking/phone home

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

computer tracking/phone home

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I am working on a new personal project and I would like some input and suggestions. I watched a defcon video the other day about a hacker who got his computer stolen and tracked it and got it back. It was pretty inspiring and I have been thinking what happens if my equipment gets stolen. I dont have much of a plan outside of insurance. I am wanting help and input from others who might be working on something similar or have had previous experience. Hopefully this thread can help some other people as well.

In a quick jest: Basically what I am wanting to do is have a dual boot system using the grub boot loader. The grub menu will have a 1-2 second boot time defaulting to a bait operating system which will house keyloggers, tracking software etc... and boot into a restricted user account The "real OS", which will be hidden using blank titles in grub, will be encrypted with truecrypt also utilizing trecrypt's "custom boot message" to help throw people off.

The problem I am running into unfortunately is the most important. The software. I have been looking for good free keyloggers that send email reports and good free "phoning home" software to help track ips and and usage. The one good software I stumbled upon so far is called "Prey" Its a free open source program that works pretty well, but the only problem is its frequency of updates and how much information it collects. For the most part though I have come up empty handed.

I was thinking the bait OS would be XP as its easiest to setup and most people know how to use it and wouldnt be forced format the drive since they dont know how to use linux. I would like to use linux, e.g. ubuntu, linux mint, since they can be made to look similar to windows and have a wider variety of software. The problem there as well is, I dont know a lot of the end user software.

So if you have any ideas or software that you have used, please let me know. Perhaps we can get a "package built" for easy future builds.