Hot swap Raid....

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Hot swap Raid....

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I hate to admit it, but I dont know the true inner workings of hot swapping a hard drive. I know what it is what it does and what its used for. But what I dont know is what device in the setup allows for a HDD to be hot swapped. Is it the backplane, or the controller, or both? Are all backplanes just passive and the soul responsible unit is the controller? Can you have a non hotswap controller and have a hotswap backplane etc.. HRMMMM :-k
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Hot swap Raid....

Post by bubba »

The way I understand it is the controller is what determines/give ability to what ports are hotswappable.

The hotswap bay/backplane tells me the drive is in a caddy of some sort that can be removed without opening the case. I have a couple cases that have "hotswap bays" but I have them hooked to regular ports, just have to shut the system down to pull the drive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

It all has to do with the controller chip. What is your setup?
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

There is no setup. I work in a datacenter (sadly i dont know hot swap in depth already). I actually replaced a failed raid 1 the other day on a dell 1950 SAS6ir and hot swapped the drive so it would auto re-sync and failed. It could have been the replacement drive was not large enough by a few MB or something, but it got me wondering. Thank you for the replies!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

That should have rebuilt with no issue. Dell's are pretty solid when it comes to rebuilds