AGP clock speed

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AGP clock speed

Post by Merlin »

You guys are really giving me an education on the basics of PCs. Thanks.
I was wondering how the AGP clock speed as it appears in BIOS calculates in with the AGP multiplier( 4x or 8x) and the Vid card's clock rate and mem speed to arrive at overall Vid card performance. It would seem to me that you could tweak the heck out of your vid card but if the AGP could not handle the faster data stream you would overtaxing your vid card for no reason. How can I arrive at optimum settings to take full advantage of the 8x AGP slot while not overclocking my vid card beyond what would yield benifits.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

im not sure what ur asking exactly, the AGP base clock is 66Mhz, when u multiply it u get different ones, for example 2x is 133Mhz (0.55Gb/s), 4x is 266mhz (1.05Gb/s)and 8x 533mhz. (2.1Gb/s)

Thats the speed that information from the PC goes to the GFX card, currentley GFX cards dont use the full 2.1Gb/s, heck there is under 1% difference between a 9800 Pro @4x and 8X apparentley.....
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

The testing that was done by some THGC members using 9700Pro between AGP 4X vs. 8X proved to be 3% difference in 3DMark2001.