My machine has flipped out

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My machine has flipped out

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

I finally get a laptop and my desktop bites the dust :evil:

About 3 weeks ago I installed W7 Ultimate on my desktop and for the three weeks, everything was just ducky until during the last few days Java was causing problems with Pogo.com which my wife plays daily.

I uninstalled the 3 Java "Updates" in add/remove pgm's and rebooted. From that moment on, I get the video card info then the Gigabyte mobo splash screen then it simply loops. No POST, no Safe mode, nothing. Initially I thought since it was in the mid-80s today, maybe CPU was hot. Left it off for over an hour---same thing.

surely my motherboard did't just cook?!?!?!?

Thank God I dropped the $400 for this laptop or I'd be completely dead in the water. [-o<

Anybody got any ideas what might have happened?

thanks!
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: My machine has flipped out

Post by spitter »

Video card bois and a splash screen, any beep codes?? My guess would be a bad hard drive or controller or cable!!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

In a futile attempt to force POST.I disconnected my primary hard drive. Still nothing -no beeps nada zip zilch. The only thing I can think of is my mobo died
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Miracle of miracles, I just tried to boot my desktop PC and, lo and behold, it booted. Went into BIOS and in the "Intelligent Tweaker," I got an error message that the machine had failed to boot due to overclocking. Strangely enough, I wasn't overclocked or I didn't think I was because in Computer Properties, the CPU showed 2.85 GHz, the "stock" speed. :-k

I dunno.....

Jack
~Bob Dylan
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

unfaithfulsfan wrote:Miracle of miracles, I just tried to boot my desktop PC and, lo and behold, it booted. Went into BIOS and in the "Intelligent Tweaker," I got an error message that the machine had failed to boot due to overclocking. Strangely enough, I wasn't overclocked or I didn't think I was because in Computer Properties, the CPU showed 2.85 GHz, the "stock" speed. :-k

I dunno.....

Jack

your sig says Q9550 currently @ 3.52 so maybe the overclock failed and it reverted to the stock speed?

:supz:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Exactly, if the machine fails with the OC it applies the stock speeds and voltages to get you back into the BIOS. After you get it back up and running again you might want to run Memtest overnight just to verify the RAM is stable/not bad.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Still though, when I initially installed W7 I had noticed the CPU was running at 2.84. That's why I was so surprised when I got the OC error in the BIOS. Just hasn't been my month for computers.

Earlier this week I wasted four hours trying to get a brand-new W7 box to communicate with the server. Had to edit all manner of services and group policies before it FINALLY worked. And that was a super simple DHCP network! Ai yi yi! Thanks for the help, as usual everybody!!!

Jack
Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
~Bob Dylan
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

As an addendum to this issue, I learned a better way to resolve the boot failure: Clear CMOS and it fires right up. Confused tho. I had it running at the stock 2.85 GHz and it flipped out again. Of course, we have no AC and it's starting to get toasty. So, as a precaution (that I hope works) I cranked it down to 2.5 until Fall or whenever it gets cooler.

Jack
~Bob Dylan