Microsft In Talks To Buy nVidia?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Microsft In Talks To Buy nVidia?

Post by Major_A »

Saw this earlier. Anyone else heard anything about this?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/win ... /229900137
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Microsft In Talks To Buy nVidia?

Post by InspectahACE »

haven't heard about it til this post..Hopefully not true.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Those rumors have been flying ever since AMD hooked up with ATI
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

At that time wasn't it Intel looking at nVidia?
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I think most of this is just the IW author trying to make it seem like MS would try and buy nVidia based on a decade old deal and drum up page views. There is nothing in the piece beyond the author's opinion to show MS is going to buy nVidia.

From what I read MS when they originally got with nVidia to make the hardware for the Xbox got a deal saying that if anyone tried to buy a 30% or larger share of nVidia they would get the option to match that or potentially stop it. Which while an amazingly smart move by MS in retrospect does not mean they are going to buy nVidia. Except maybe they would buy nVidia to stop say Apple from buying nVidia and putting their tech off limits to Windows; but then the article gave no evidence anyone else is looking to buy nVidia, just speculation.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

problem is that Nvidia and MS no longer make parts for the xbox, because things went south fast during the original xbox days between these two companies. the xbox 360 intel has pulled out from the xbox because of microsofts high return rate on the xbox 360, because of the lack of cooling/QC that microsoft had on the xbox. AMD I dont think is supporting microsoft's xbox anymore either. not 100% on this one. But this is not the first time i heard of someone taking over nvidia.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....