5.25 Fan Controller -- Need some help finding!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

5.25 Fan Controller -- Need some help finding!

Post by NAiLs »

I'm looking for a decent fan controller, that displays fan RPM's and is low profile. I have a Coolermaster Cosmos case, and it's not quite friendly with the door on the front. I'm trying to build out my watercooling setup, and this is the last piece of my puzzle. 2 bay controllers are 100% out of the question. I've got 2 ROM's and a 2 bay reservoir. I'm moving my SSD out of the 5th bay to an actual HDD bay for this device.

I originally fell in love with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I like the features, the watts per channel, and all that fun stuff. It has great reviews and isn't expensive.

The downside.... it has knobs that I'm afraid protrude too far for the door on the case to close. I wanna say the gap between the face of a device and the door, is only 3/16", or my measure for the test was the thickness of a slim DVD case. I doubt I can mount this back in the case a smidge to allow for the knobs.

I've looked at touch screen, but I don't think I can find what I'm looking for there, either. Maybe I'm not finding the right one?

Other's that I've looked at:
- Aerocool X-Vision -- Looks cool, has great functionality, but it has a single knob on the right. I could potentially leave that one alone and let the door smack that instead. That's on the latch side of how my case is set up.
- Aerocool Touch 1000 -- Perfect.... well, almost. Single display of fan speeds, but the thing that is keeping me away from it, is the 6w max per channel. I might be putting 2 fans on one chain, and my fans are by no means weaklings. I believe they're up to 8w under full power. I don't plan on running them to the max, but you never know what I might play with. Maybe I don't get something with wattage and amperage for these things, as I haven't a clue what mine are rated at for amps.
- Aerocool 3.5" EasyWatch -- This display would be great as well, but it doesn't allow you to control fan speeds. Bah!!
- NZXT Sentry-2 -- This would be great, but it doesn't show RPM's which is a total deal breaker.
- Who knows what else I checked.

Looking for suggestions. I'm pretty open, but I don't want to spend big bucks to control my fans. I'm already dumping a lot of cash into this water system! lol

Thanks for your help!!

-Brian

**EDIT**
Looks like my Thermaltake A2029 fans are somewhere around 0.2 - 0.7 amps each. I probably run them at half power now, and hope to run them a bit quieter at times.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: 5.25 Fan Controller -- Need some help finding!

Post by bubba »

What is your case? I have the Scythe controller, its ok, but if I did it again I would pick up a Lamptron FC5v2 or FC8
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

NZXT Sentry LX

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Darkstar wrote:NZXT Sentry LX

He wants a single bay controller LOL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

bubba wrote:What is your case? I have the Scythe controller, its ok, but if I did it again I would pick up a Lamptron FC5v2 or FC8
I have the coolermaster cosmos... the original one. I know there was a second revision out there.

I'll keep those in mind and look when I get home. I don't recall seeing that company.

Thanks!
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I like the Lamptron's because they don't have special cables to hook the fans up like the Scythe does. You can hook fans straight to it.
-Thomas Jefferson
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

bubba wrote:
Darkstar wrote:NZXT Sentry LX

He wants a single bay controller LOL
oops missed that, i have the single bay NZXT Sentry and saw that he wanted an RPM display.....

never mind!

Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

bubba wrote:What is your case? I have the Scythe controller, its ok, but if I did it again I would pick up a Lamptron FC5v2 or FC8

I think these look really nice.... and man do they support a lot per channel! Now.... is the price worth it??