Netflix or Hulu Plus?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Netflix or Hulu Plus?

Post by Major_A »

Title says it all. I've used Netflix and their movie selection is garbage. I've read that Hulu Plus has a better movie selection and more HD content. I do enjoy the documentaries and when I'm bored a TV show/series is a good time killer. From what I can tell Netflix has a ton of TV stuff.

Anyone used both and can clue me in?
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Netflix or Hulu Plus?

Post by Tator Tot »

I've got both, pretty much don't use my TV unless I really am bored and don't want to put music on. (Then it's History or Discover + associated channels.) I keep cable for BBC & CNN mostly.
Online news is good, but sometimes the live news (like with the Olso incident) is the best way to get it.

Personally, Hulu Plus has more content but doesn't have a DVD service (and Netflix's DVD library is very robust.) If you can stream and don't have to worry about caps I'd probably get a Boxee Box and both services and get rid of cable/satellite.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No caps that I know of. I was thinking about getting a year for my mother for her birthday (I'd add my devices, of course). My stepdad bought her a Xoom, but as far as I know both services aren't on that yet. She also has a 46" Samsung LED TV with Netflix and Hulu Plus apps installed on the TV. I wasn't going to do the DVD service only streaming. I read though that Hulu Plus still has ads. Do they show at the beginning or throughout the stream?
Tator Tot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Tator Tot »

Many movies have no commercials in them.

Though TV shows still have 1 or 2 commercials in them.
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

my advice:

cancel cable.
cancel netflix.
cancel hulu plus.

Nothing to watch on cable but commercials.
Netflix movie selection SUCKS.
hulu isnt much better.

read books i guess.
SunilSamuel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SunilSamuel »

Netflix, with more than 20,000 titles available for streaming, kicks booty here. Hulu Plus has a mere 2,000-plus TV episodes. Both services will continue to stockpile titles, of course, so these numbers will continue to rise.
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

Honestly, Netflix and Hulu Plus have a similar movie selection. Neither has anything super exciting. I had Plus for 3 months and I cancelled it. I still have Netflix though.

Go to Hulu Plus's Movie/TV selection and look at it for yourself. Most everything still has commercials. Its much less than regular TV but there is still a few on almost everything (pissed me off for a paid online service).

As for movies, movie makers don't want to give up their physical media. They believe they make more money by keeping it that way. TV doesn't make as much and they are used to making money off of occasional timeslots. That's why Netflix and Hulu have mostly TV shows.