Lucid Virtu Anyone?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Lucid Virtu Anyone?

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Don't think its for me.

ASrock licensed it and I installed it with my new Z68 mobo so I gave it a whirl.

When in "i-mode" (HDMI connected to the IGMP H3000) I took a 3D performance hit (not huge in most cases but it was there). Ironically it didn't seem to power down the HD 5870 either so no power savings, but I couldn't really tell as CCC would not run with the Intel IGMP enabled.

When in "D-mode" (HDMI connected to the HD5870) 3d performance was fine. As well the video transcoding tests in PCMark7 showed a HUGE improvement (21623.68 kB/s with Virtu versus 7397.39 kB/s with the 5870 alone!). That said in "real life" while I did see some reduction in the time to transcode an HD video application support seems spotty, even the included trial of Cyberlink Espresso (which is supposedly Quick Sync aware) didn't show a huge gain on transcoding a 720p video from MP4 to WMV.

With PCMark I had to add the specific MMx modules to the Virtu control panel, just adding PCMark caused the 3D tests in PCMark to utilize the the Intel IGMP for ALL tests including DirectX (not a good overall score there!).

I can see the benefit for someone who is doing a LOT of video manipulation and transcoding with a LITTLE 3D gaming during breaks, but for general use (I transcode downloaded FLV videos to MP4 for my DroidX every once in a while, mostly music videos) I couldn't see the benefit.

It did work though, just won't really use it... Verdict = uninstalled (but will keep an eye out, transcoding HD videos in the background while gaming with no performance loss IS a seductive idea!).
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Lucid Virtu Anyone?

Post by Major_A »

Here's a tip, if you download the HD Youtube videos then you don't need to do anything for them to work on an Android phone.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Major_A wrote:Here's a tip, if you download the HD Youtube videos then you don't need to do anything for them to work on an Android phone.
Yeah I know but Flash scares me ;) plus MP4 seems to work better cross platform.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

That's what I'm saying, the HD videos are .mp4 encoded. So you don't mess with Flash at all.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Ahhh, got it now! I was wondering why every other vid I pulled down was FLV and the one I pulled down for a transcoding test was already an MP4. Learn something new every day :)

Now you see what I mean by "I don't use this much" :)
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit