USB 3.0 Hub?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

USB 3.0 Hub?

Post by Sparky »

I finally picked up my first USB 3.0 device, a Mushkin Ventura Pro flash drive. Now the problem….my system only has USB 3.0 ports accessible from the rear of the case so it's a PITA to pull the tower out to take advantage of the ports. I need to purchase a USB 3.0 hub, anybody here tried one and can you make some recommendations? I'd prefer it not to require a separate power source, I don't plan on charging things with it. I was on Newegg and nothing really jumped out at me, most of them only had a couple of reviews.
Thanks.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
KnightRid

Re: USB 3.0 Hub?

Post by KnightRid »

Every hub I have ever used has sucked!

Any hub I ever used that did not have an eternal power source has sucked even worse.

I don't know if I just have horrible luck with them or what but I would suggest just getting a USB extension cable to run from the back port to plug your device into rather than a hub.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

I had considered those but looking at my mobo it don't appear to have any USB 3.0 pins, only the two USB 3.0's on the rear of the board accessible from the back of my tower so I don't think they would work.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I showed you that one since it's just regular USB headers. It isn't the special USB 3.0 header for a motherboard.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Major_A wrote:I showed you that one since it's just regular USB headers. It isn't the special USB 3.0 header for a motherboard.
Ahh! My mistake, I totally missed that. My case has two grommets for water cooling hoses that look like they'd be just right for running the cable for it. Thanks Major A.

Just ordered one, can't wait to try it out.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No problem. I hate swapping my eSATA cables. I have to crawl under the desk and get a flashlight. Having the connections on the front is definitely the way to go.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Well it arrived yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I was able to route the cables behind my mobo via openings in the case and instead of using their expansion card thing with grommets. I used the water cooling grommets that are in the top back of my Coolermaster HAF 922 because they were closer to the USB 3.0 plugs. But really the best part of all is not having to crawl behind my case to utilize my USB 3.0.
Attachments
USB 3.0.JPG
USB 3.0.JPG (174.6 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Looks good and it sure beats the Hell out of reaching around the case. I'm still using a similar USB 2.0 adapter than came with my old Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard (P4 socket 478, so yeah it's old).