Boot issue

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Boot issue

Post by Lt Ohio »

What would prevent a computer from posting when using two sticks of ram (dual channel), but when you use each stick on its own it runs stable? When using the two sticks, my computer rarely posts and when it does it only runs for about 5 mins before blue screening. I also noticed a red blinking light on the back of my video card that i've been told means its getting insufficient power.

mobo: m4a79xtd evo
ram: Crucial ballistx 1333 (is on mobo's QVL)
video card: xfx 4850
psu: corsair tx 750
My rig.
Asus M4A79XTD-Evo motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 4850
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE cpu / Hyper N 520 cpu cooler
Crucial Ballistx ddr3 1333
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Boot issue

Post by Major_A »

Could be a bad memory controller. It could also be that with two sticks it is stressing the MC more so you need to either loosen the timings or up the voltage. I assume too that you've tried the kit in both dual channel slots?

Are you running the latest BIOS? The latest BIOS says this, "Fix the issue that system may hang during POST when using certain graphic card.". I've had a board that was stable as a bowl of snot. I kept looking into the usual suspects until I noticed that one of the BIOS revisions added more graphics cards (or something along those lines). I applied the update and it hasn't had a problem since.
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?S ... by9MjO0WHm

You might want to also update your AMD chipset drivers if you haven't already.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... ndows.aspx
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Could also be a faulty memory slot on the board
Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Lt Ohio »

I've tried all 4 slots and all work just as long as im only using one stick. Using standard timings and crucial's recommended timings at 7-7-7-24 @1.65v 1333 doesn't work either. Do you have a recommendation for different timings and voltages? Drivers and bios are all up to date.
My rig.
XFX Radeon HD 4850
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Try something simple like 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65V. See if that helps. The bandwidth lost will be negligible in real world scenarios.

Do you have any cores unlocked on your CPU right now? That might be affecting the stability if you do.
Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Lt Ohio »

bumping the voltages made it so it would atleast boot now so with some minor tweaking i should be able to get it stable. Thanks Major.
My rig.
XFX Radeon HD 4850
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

No prob. Hope you get it stable. RAM stability seems to always be a PITA. I haven't ran DDR3 yet, personally, and the latest chipset I own is an old P45. That said, my endeavors with RAM XMP/EPP have always been in vain. I've never had a profile work at it's stated speeds and voltages.