To Upgrade or not to upgrade?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Post Reply
amythompson172
Legit User
Legit User
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 am

To Upgrade or not to upgrade?

Post by amythompson172 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 pm

This is my current config.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2240249

I was thinking about changing my motherboard to LGA1155 H61 MSI H61M-P23 http://www.amazon.com/MSI-LGA1155-B3-Mo ... 004RPNM86/
My processor to Intel® Core™ i3-2100 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-2100-Pro ... 004JEVGMO/
I only have 2 gb ddr2 ram and to get 2 gb more is more expensive than getting 4gb ddr3. but to do that i have to change my motherboard to newer model so as my socket.
My graphic card has 1gb gddr3 rest is on the picture.


My budget is around #230 not beyond that. but if you really suggest i spend more i might go beyond that point. I play a lot of games mostly new ones.
i would be thankful if you helped me out here :)

Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: San Jose CA

Re: To Upgrade or not to upgrade?

Post by Sttm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm

I'd wait a few months and try and save up some more. If you can manage to save $10 a week to it that will be quite the difference.

Intel should be releasing new CPUs within a few months.

Also your graphics card is a very weak spot in your system, so saving up and getting a new GPU as well would be a good idea, or possibly getting AMD's next generation APU which is a CPU and Graphics in one chip. Right now is the tail end of the 2011 model year, with 2012 models rolling out in the next few months.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"

User avatar
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 33922
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Contact:

Re: To Upgrade or not to upgrade?

Post by Apoptosis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Why not look at the Intel Pentium G850?? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1672/15/

It costs very little ($85 shipped, which is $35 less than the 2100) and the performance is just slightly behind the Intel Core i3-2120 in gaming

You can get the Biostar H61 board for $44.99 shipped after rebate.

You can get some Patriot Viper Xtreme Series Division 2 Edition 1600MHz DDR3 CL8 Memory for $24.99 shipped after rebate.

Processor: $85
Motherboard: $55
Memory: $25
Total: $165

That leaves you with $65 and like Sttm said I'd save up for a better video card. The AMD Radeon HD 6850 is $119 after rebate, so save up for something like that.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!

effx
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 am

Re: To Upgrade or not to upgrade?

Post by effx » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 am

Onto my new build with the i7 3820 and thinking going with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard....

My last build was over a year ago, heavy into gaming, BF3, OC'n Video and 3D movies.....

Currently:
i7 940 - 1366
2.93 ghz
x58
6144 MB DDR3

2 EVGA GTX 480 SLI

Lemme hear your thoughts..
Ron

Post Reply