Anybody With Good Razer Experience(s)?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Anybody With Good Razer Experience(s)?

Post by Major_A »

My Deathadder just bit the dust. After getting the computer from GraVT I just got around to installing a few games. I went to map my scroll wheel click and nothing. This was the 3rd Deatadder I've had. The first one was DOA. The second one I sent back because the scroll wheel click stopped working. Now this one had the same issue. I don't abuse the button, I only use it with one game. So instead of buying another Razer mouse I went to Best Buy and picked up a Logitech G500.

To top this off, against my own judgment, I bought a Razer Lycosa keyboard. I really don't like it. The USB port on the back of the keyboard has never worked. The entire thing feels cheaper than the Logitech Media Keyboard ($15) I'm typing this on. To put the icing on the cake I was typing on it one day and I looked down to find the 1/! button was popped out. The tab that holds it in place broke.

Razer charges a premium for their "gaming" peripherals but I'm done with the brand. I was curious if anyone here has had similar experiences or actually good ones?
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Anybody With Good Razer Experience(s)?

Post by smack323 »

I have been using the same logitech mouse you purchased for a few years now (hundreds of gaming hours) and it still working great.

I have a razor mousepad that has held up.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I like the Logitech software. It just works. The Razer software was a PITA to work with.
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sttm »

I got a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard. I bought the Blackwidow because it has mechanical switches, and has in interesting feel to it, but that was offset by the loud noise. But within a month the plastic logo they stupidly placed where you rest your palm below the space bar kept popping out, and then after that the Caps Lock key would start going off randomly and other keys started failing. The build quality was just atrocious. That's a $130 keyboard.

I replaced it with a $40 MS Sidewinder, and it works well. They key feel isnt as great, but its solid, and its quiet, and the multimedia buttons dont require a modifier key to use, and oh yeah its not falling apart!

For mice I've always used Logitech, using a G500 right now, took some getting used to as it has a gritty texture on the sides, but works superbly. I had a G5 before that which lasted me many years until I broke the cord. If I was going to switch it out Id probably go with Corsair's MMO mouse. I love the button layout on that thing, it looks like its actually comfortable for a man without tiny hands.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
jinxwolf69
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jinxwolf69 »

Hey Major,

I had a death adder as well for the last 4+ years or so and it finally got to the point I had to replace it two weeks ago. I was very happy with that product so I stuck with razer and bought two new naga's for me and the wife. So far i am happy with it ( I play mostly mmo's so the side keys are very nice for me on the mouse) although it is taking some getting used to with the keys. My only complaint with the naga is that it just feels small in my hand after playing on the death addder for so long.

Now onto the keyboard. I bought the Razer Lycosa as well about 3 years ago. I have loved my Lycosa from day one I have never had any issues with it. The one thing i will point out is this, the version of the Lycosa that you linked above is a PoS. I bought the rubberized non glass/glossy finish version of the keyboard. I have seen and heard a great many people complaining about the gloss finish version and having many issues with it. Mostly about keys randomly quit working, the gloss finish rubs off over time and chips, the lighting doing random issues. I am happy to say that my keyboard without that finish has never had any of those issues. 3 years and still going strong with no maintenance or faulty lights. The jacks in the keyboard have worked when I tried to use them.

Key point I guess is if you like the layout/backlight design/features of the Lycosa, maybe try the rubberized finish version instead of that high gloss model. I bought it at Bestbuy a few years back.

I was looking at a logitech keyboarrd for my wife. in particular this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823126087

but haven't decided yet if i want to get that.

Anyway hope that helps.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm glad someone has had a good experience with the brand. My Lycosa Mirror among the other complaints randomly decides to stop working. To fix it have to unplug it from the tower and plug it back in. Buying a mouse and keyboard are hard to do online. I like to get a feel for the product before I make the purchase. That's why I went to Best Buy for the mouse and Fry's for the keyboard.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I have a Razer Naga and quite enjoy it. I also have a couple of Logitech G5 mice (the V2 models) that are solid.

I got the Naga to play around with. I've been a Logitech fanboi for years now and wanted to give something else a legit try. While I do like the Naga's thumb buttons you just can't beat the feel of those G5s.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

My recent experience with mice and keyboards shows that you just don't get what you pay for nowadays, quality and reliability wise. So now I just look at particular features I need and buy the cheapest one and in the long run am sure to save money.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I know a few people still rocking keyboards from the 90s. The keyboard that came with our Gateway back in 96 was built like a tank. Or maybe I didn't use the keyboard as much back then. I mean it only took 10 minutes to sign into MSN and anther 30 seconds to load every page.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Razer Sphex gaming skin has been one of the better investments I've made for my PC, along with my DeathAdder v2. My mouse was damaged by my last room mate, so I'm waiting for him to reimburse me for it before I pull the trigger on a new mouse. But all that is moot since my gaming PC is OOC for the moment. As for keyboards, I find myself happier with generic ones with low-profile keys than the older, larger keys but that's a matter of ergonomics.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

Wolfking Timberwolf Keyboard - have been using this for years now - they dont make them anymore.. I'll be sad when i have to go back to a normal gaming keyboard.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Hmm... I put the Deathadder on a different PC, I could lose the scroll wheel click for a higher DPI/faster mouse. Installed the latest drivers and low and behold the thing works. Oh well, I already like the Logitech mouse better. I guess only time will tell how long this will work.