NEED HELP, Windows 7 Internet Problems - Wi-fi

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

NEED HELP, Windows 7 Internet Problems - Wi-fi

Post by wreakreward »

Ive come across this trouble only today, and I find it ridiculous that no where on the internet I can find a solution. I turned on my laptop, and I connected to the same Router I always connect to, and its been running perfectly for 6 months now. When I connect, it acts like its connecting, then just says ``(insert router name here) has been connected with limited access.`` I tried diagnosing a problem, but its no help at all, considering I have no internet. All it gives me is ``the diagnostics policy service is not running.`` Can anyone help with this issue? the internet hasn`t been working all day, and it troubles me that the current computer (which is wireless) has perfect internet, and I have none at all in the other room (router located in the room of this computer). I hope its not my computer thats gone, and Id like to refrain from backing up all my contents and restoring the whole notebook, any help is greatly appreciated
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NEED HELP, Windows 7 Internet Problems - Wi-fi

Post by vbironchef »

Call your service provider. Internet is probably down on their end.
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

Yeah but its not that, in the office I have 2 desktops and an All-in-One pc running on the same internet, and they work fine. It just doesnt make sense, and its really becoming a nuisance
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Have you tried uninstalling your NIC and reinstalling it with the latest drivers? What are the hardware specs with your laptop?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Go into your wireless settings and delete the saved network settings (BSSID, WPA key etc.)
Then goto start / run and type "services.msc" and press enter.
Scroll down to "WLAN Config" and right click. Select restart sercvice.
Then while your there, scroll up and do the same for the "DHCP Client" service.

Reboot the PC and test.

Are any other users on WiFi or are they all using a cable?
What signal strenght do you see when looking via "view available networks"?
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

there are 3 other users on the wifi, tablet and 2 laptops, then there are 3 more pcs connected by cable. The signal strength is 5 bars, so the best connection. I havent tried uninstalling the NIC yet, And what details would you like to know about the laptop major a?
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

Kenc I restarted the WLAN config, but for the DHCP it doesn't have a restart option, only a "start" one. I clicked that and it said: "Windows could not start the DHCP client service on local computer. Error 5: Access is denied", might that be my problem?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

wreakreward wrote:Kenc I restarted the WLAN config, but for the DHCP it doesn't have a restart option, only a "start" one. I clicked that and it said: "Windows could not start the DHCP client service on local computer. Error 5: Access is denied", might that be my problem?
It wont be the cause of the problem.
Can you press the windows key and R at the same time, this will open the run box.
Type "cmd" the click ok. This will open a command prompt.
Type "ipconfig" and post the results
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What WiFi adapter does your computer use? Are you using it's utility to connect to networks or the built-in one in Windows? I've had little luck using included WiFi connecting software and have 95% of the time used the built-in utility. If you are using the NIC's utility there's a simple way to get back to Windows. Right click on Computer->Manage->Services and Applications->Services and double click on WLAN Auto Config. Change the Start Up Type to Automatic and the Service status to Start.
wreakreward
Legit User
Legit User

Post by wreakreward »

I called Asus and did a few tests over the phone, and apparently due to how hot my computer gets at times it seems the NIC card might be totally burnt out, the notebook is still under warranty so I think ill be able to have it repaired. The outputs greatly appreciated though, otherwise I would have probably never found out what was exactly wrong with it. Thanks a lot guys!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

wreakreward, your welcome

Ken