Main COmputer WiFi server set up

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Main COmputer WiFi server set up

Post by DragonFury »

I am wondering what is a good free program that will allow a home based computer to act as an WiFi access point for mobile devices? I can set up the WiFi to connect to a laptop to transfer files and such, but I want to do more then just that I want to share the internet connection on the computer as well.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
KnightRid

Re: Main COmputer WiFi server set up

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.connectify.me/

Honestly, I would buy a router - cell phones can use the router's wifi to connect to the internet and it would probably be easier to keep running and cheaper too.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I got one of that, but when I am in the dungeon (the houses basement) I get either 0 connectivity or up to 2 bars on both the computer and on the portable devices which is extremely slow. And I am also downstairs in my room (dungeon) more then I am upstairs why I like to set the computer up as a wireless hub for my portable devices. So why have a connection of lets say 128KB/s (download speed not actual connection rate) on portable devices using the existing wireless network that is upstairs, which is down from 2.4MB/s (again actual download speed not actual connection, which actual connection rate I am currently on is 20Mb/s) when I can at least maintain a connection rate of at least 1-1.5 MB/s download rate (again actual download speed not connection rate) by setting up the main as a wireless hub.

Thank you for the link will look into it.
Mini ME
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

As long as you have at least a wired connection to the main computer it should work but it would still be so much simpler to get a router/access point, plug it into the wired connection and then use that to send out the signal in the basement. I am also guessing the main computer is in the basement. If it is not, then you wont get any better signal and probably a worse one from it then you do the router now.

I have never had luck using a computer to broadcast the signal, mainly because usb wireless adapters are pretty weak signal wise and internal ones have antenna on the back where all the cables are ;)

I will be curious as to how it works out for you if you decide to use the computer to send out the signal. In a small space it should work decent.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

it works pretty good for serving as a pc to laptop connection, the good news is I am using a wifi card that came with my p9x79 motherboard, so I am not restricted to the connection rate of a USB 2 wifi adapter. but will post my results.
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

well, I got the computer set up asa wireless access point and I will have to say it has a better signal then the stupid wireless router I am using. If I am dowstairs trying to access the wireless router which is upstairs I get 2-3 bars, this computer is downstairs and when i am upstairs with the laptop accessing the computers WiFi I get 5 bars, no matter where I am at in the house I get 5 bars.
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

What my connection is on the laptop while using main computer as a wifi access point. that is the same speed my current connection rate is set to.

What my connection is at the same distance, but using the home based wireless router.
Mini ME
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Very nice.

Would also be curious how it acts if you connect multiple devices at one time to the pc's wireless. multiple laptops, cell phones, tablets, game systems, media servers, etc.

I think the main reason I used access points and routers to extend the range was cost and power requirements. Cheaper to run a router/AP 24/7 than an entire computer.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I will have to try that, my main never gets turned off anyways so thats not a worry for me.
Mini ME