Need Monitor Recommendation

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Need Monitor Recommendation

Post by Skippman »

Hey Gang,

So I'm looking to finally replace my Dell 2405FPW monitor with something more modern. Mostly my complaints are related to ghosting of the image due to the low response time of 15MS. I've also been considering going larger, but any of the 27" display's I've found are either 1920x1080 (1080P HD) resolution which is lower than my current 1920x1200 or they're high resolution 2560x1440 displays that will obviously kill a video card.

What monitors do you guys like? Do you think I'm making a big deal out of this 1920x1080 thing? Do you think it's worth the extra money to get a 120hz display if I have no intention of using it for 3D?
Ditiris
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Need Monitor Recommendation

Post by Ditiris »

I had the same monitor and upgraded to one of the 27" Korean eBay monitors (Achieva Shimian from ta_planet). And now I have three of them, because they're awesome. I have an older graphics card, one of the overclocked 460GTX variants, and I don't have any issues at 2560x1440 with the games I play (Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Civ 5, CS:GO). Anyway, you can always run at a lower resolution as any modern video card will take care of the scaling. For the record, yes three is overkill. One is enough (per computer).

All my friends that have seen the monitors have bought one. You can't get a better monitor for the price. There are of course cons, only a full DVI input, limited calibration, and of course if anything goes wrong you're SoL. But, between all of us we probably have about ten of the monitors, 0 dead pixels, and no one has had an issue (someone even bought the wrong converter and the seller corrected it). I've had mine for ~3 months now. Hit up Monoprice for a wall mount or stand, the stand it ships with is pretty bad from what friends say. All of mine are wall mounted.

I wouldn't invest the money into 3D personally until it's more prevalent. I have another friend who has an incredibly expensive 600Hz 3D TV setup, and I don't really notice much of a difference. I don't notice much of a difference in the movies either, other than it's twice as expensive. So personally, I'm not buying 3D until there's no premium.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I was refering to the 120hz display for 2D motion smoothing. I won't do 3D as it gives me a headache. I've not seen a 600hz LCD TV, he probably has a plasma TV as those natively operate at 600hz.

As far as the scaling is concerned, I know I can run them at a lower resolution but we get into the issue of the display becoming blurry as the monitor uses multiple pixels to produce the image, rather than a 1:1 ratio. I plan to run this using a eVGA GTX-570 Superclocked GPU, so I'm not terribly worried about powering anything up to 1920x1200 at full detail. But going over that I worry that the GPU might not be able to keep up.

I had been looking at the ASUS VE278Q, which has decent specs on paper but I haven't looked at one in person just yet.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Buy a Dell UltraSharp in whatever size you need. No need to out think this.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

My current Dell monitor has worked like a champ for about 10 years now. I'd been looking at the new Dell UltraShaprs before I posted this but saw they were all using IPS displays as opposed to TN displays. I was under the impression this would still give a blurry image in fast motion like I'm getting from my current Dell.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The Dell UltraSharp U2410 monitor has a 6-Millisecond Response Time (Typical). If that's not fast enough, you can always return it. Dell price is 549.00 dollars.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I think that's what I'll probably end up with. My current Dell has been rock solid. I really want to see one of these IPS monitors in person to see if they're as night/day as they claim. I'm glad Dell is sticking with 1920x1200 and not going the 1080P route everyone else seems to be taking.
largon
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by largon »

I went 30" IPS (HP ZR30w) last year and I'm very glad I did.
Ghosting is non-issue, can't tell a difference in coming from 5ms TN.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I went to the Dell site looking for the Monitor you ordered and I did not see it listed yet. Did you buy it overseas?