Anyone has/d marvell 9128 controller?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DNY65
Legit User
Legit User

Anyone has/d marvell 9128 controller?

Post by DNY65 »

Hello everyone...

I have a question for someone who owns or owned this controller: Marvell 9128 and would be perfect if he also used it, anybody ?

It's "Marvell SE9128" to be accurate

Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone has/d marvell 9128 controller?

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, we have used that controller. It was on many motherboards back in the 2010-2011 time frame.

ASUS P9X79 Pro, Gigabyte X58A-UD7,Intel Desktop Extreme DX58SO2 and so on... Many of the X58 and X79 boards used it.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DNY65
Legit User
Legit User

Post by DNY65 »

Apoptosis wrote:yeah, we have used that controller. It was on many motherboards back in the 2010-2011 time frame.
Hi, Great, this controller is supposed to control 6GB/s speeds in my mobo, many had problems using it some had success, but how do you add an additional drive using this controller, you enter with Ctrl+M? ok but the manual is only speaking about raid, calling it raid setup utility and all the steps are speaking about raid but I don't want raid... ?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If you don't want to setup RAID, plug the drive into the port and boot like normal.

Go into disk management and activate the drive and assign it a drive letter in Windows... Done deal and really no different than anything else.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DNY65
Legit User
Legit User

Post by DNY65 »

Apoptosis wrote:If you don't want to setup RAID, plug the drive into the port and boot like normal.

Go into disk management and activate the drive and assign it a drive letter in Windows... Done deal and really no different than anything else.
No I a not looking for raid, I am looking to run it on the special 6Gb/s ports and see what speeds will come out.

So no need for marvell utility OR bios at all? and it will run on sata3 / 6Gb/s ports just by plugging it to these ports?

This is what is confusing me, the mobo manual says "Standard CMOS Features Menu does not display SATA 7 and SATA 8 items, which are supported by the external controller chip. For how to setup HDDs with the external controller, please refer to Appendix."

(SATA7/8 are the 6 Gb/s ports , 1-6 are the 3 Gb/s ports)

And what I wrote in my last post is what I found when I looked in the Appendix, the raid utility thing.