Grahics card running hot

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Grahics card running hot

Post by stickytape »

I have dual Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X running in Crossfire and recently I found them running HOT, even in idle: even if I just leave my computer on the desktop, after about half an hour the top of my computer (My PC sits flat on it's side) becomes really hot to the touch. the heat source is above the PCI slots, so I couldn't imagine where else the heat might be coming from. So, to begin with, I have downloaded and installed the latest version Catalyst Control Center ("12-8_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc.exe") to check out what's going on, but the program just won't open. And I'm not sure what latest drivers I need for my graphics cards. Any direction in this area would be much appreciated.

My specs are as follows:
2x Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X
windows7 32bit
MSI X58 Pro-E MB
Intel Core i7
750 wt PSU
KnightRid

Re: Grahics card running hot

Post by KnightRid »

check for bios updates for your MB.

Uninstall the video drivers completely, restart, reinstall the newest drivers.

Make sure the fans are running on each video card, the chipset and the PSU - yes, check them ALL

I dont know if your PSU is at the top or bottom of your case but make sure the heat is not coming from there.

Remove the side of the case and see if you can gauge where the heat is coming from any better.

Run a temp program http://www.gputemp.com/ and see just how hot the gpu is.

Make sure your case is cooled properly.

Try running only 1 video card and see if the heat is still there. If not, switch to the other video card and run. If it still stays cool I would look at the crossfire setup to see if they are just too close to cool.

Just a few thoughts. I hope one of them can help or at least point in a more narrow direction.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Open up Catalyst Control Center and see how hot your GPU is running.

Are all your case fans and GPU cooler fans running properly?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
WaKai
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WaKai »

More specifically check at what % of speed your fans are running, might just be a setting you played around with by accident or got changed around by a program.
stickytape
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by stickytape »

Thanks guys. I'll try all those steps. But like i said, despite an uninstall -> fresh install, CCC isn't opening, so I can't diagnose or configure anything. I've also ruled out a virus because the computer is for gaming and commercial software only and (except for registration), is disconnected from the internet at all times.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

You can always try GPUz. It will tell you the temps and fan speeds as well
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If CCC isn't opening you got a software issue...

Download and run drivercleaner or CCleaner and fix the registry and all that.

Not how old your Windows 7 install is, but you might consider doing a fresh install to ensure everything is fresh and installed properly.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!