DIY All-in-One

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

DIY All-in-One

Post by jakegub »

Hello LegitReviews,

I haven't built a new computer in over 5 years (which is about 5 times longer than my previous average).

My wife hates my full tower computer even though my lighting is subtle and my fans are quiet and my cables are very well routed. She thinks my next computer should be an iMac or "One of those HP computers like an iMac".

Someone out there knows my pain. I honestly wouldn't mind an all-in-one PC because their monitors are plenty nice and any computer based on Intel's Ivy Bridge is good enough for internet consumption. My issue is that I play PC games. I think I've come up with a solution and would love input on the idea as well as suggestions for how to overcome the forseeable problems.

What I want:
24 or 27" LCD
Very small desk footprint (preferably no bigger than the size of a monitor stand)
Replaceable/upgradeable graphics
One plug to the wall outlet

My thought is that I buy a mini-itx case and modify it so it has a built-in VESA mount sticking out the top of it. I take the monitor off of its factory stand and mount it by VESA.

How then do I get the machine so that it has just one plug going from computer to the wall outlet? Has anyone tried this? Is it possible to do it and not have it look like some Frankenstein's monster of a computer?
Last edited by jakegub on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: DIY All-in-O pne

Post by DJ Tucker »

you can get these all in one pc's. it's a monitor with a pc in the back and many can be upgraded very much like a laptop :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: DIY All-in-One

Post by jakegub »

I think I've seen the current offerings although I'll go searching again. I'm not interested in the ability to upgrade CPU, Mem, HDD. That's basically a given. I'm looking for upgradeable graphics (which can extend the life of your PC by years)

My current desktop is a C2D and has had 3 graphics upgrades which has allowed me to keep it for more than 5 years and still play new games.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Bottom line: it isn't going to happen. Even if you bought an AIO with a discrete GPU you can't buy a "laptop" GPU anywhere to my knowledge. If you want to get it out of the way, so to speak, then look for VESA cases where you can build your own rig and mount it on the back of the monitor. I know that Antec sells one and it seems like Shuttle has barebones cases that can also do this.

Maybe this will help get you going in the right direction.
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704515&fid=288
http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/DS61.html
Then you're still limited to half height video cards and those are usually lower end cards.
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

Major_A wrote:Bottom line: it isn't going to happen. Even if you bought an AIO with a discrete GPU you can't buy a "laptop" GPU anywhere to my knowledge. If you want to get it out of the way, so to speak, then look for VESA cases where you can build your own rig and mount it on the back of the monitor. I know that Antec sells one and it seems like Shuttle has barebones cases that can also do this.
You're some kind of genius. I had never thought about mounting a case to the back of a monitor. That seems simple. I think they have some decent half-height cards, or at least a year or two ago they had a GTS 250 that was half-height, and that card was mid-high end range at the time.

Newegg has this, which would certainly be adequate for the games I'm currently playing. I guess I could hope as new cards come out, they start making half-height options based on the new architecture.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814202002
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

That should work. Keep in mind that at your resolution you're more GPU bound than CPU bound. Meaning getting a faster CPU probably won't translate to much higher FPS.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Major_A wrote:Bottom line: it isn't going to happen. Even if you bought an AIO with a discrete GPU you can't buy a "laptop" GPU anywhere to my knowledge. If you want to get it out of the way, so to speak, then look for VESA cases where you can build your own rig and mount it on the back of the monitor. I know that Antec sells one and it seems like Shuttle has barebones cases that can also do this.

Maybe this will help get you going in the right direction.
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704515&fid=288
http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/DS61.html
Then you're still limited to half height video cards and those are usually lower end cards.
That

PLUS - if you try and mount a lcd display to a case, using the case as a stand, you better reinforce that case something fierce. Even though lcd displays are not very heavy, they are when you stick them on flimsy metal ;)

Major_A has the perfect solution. I actually looked at doing this in the bedroom for the 32" lcd I have but never followed through because I have the lcd hanging on a wall swivel arm and the cases I saw did not have any way to attach to the lcd and then to the mounting plate :(

I would also figure out if you want touch screen or not. Touch screens do not seem to be real cheap by themselves so an all-in-one solution may end up being cheaper.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

At least if you do buy one (which i have been very very opposed towards) buy Acer because i can really vouch for their reliability even with the A8-3420M
I (not exactly me, but someone in my family) had several HPs ("Business" or not) over the course of years and they just suddenly die every 3 months even if it's a intel
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I actually own an All In One HP Touchsmart PC and I hate it. I had to turn off the touchscreen, which was really money wasted, as I rarely used it and it was starting to glitch on me. They're not upgrade friendly and Major was dead on when he said that you'll not be able to upgrade the gpu as I've already gone down that road. After a year you're stuck with an Internet machine. If I could just shake my gaming bug I'd have bought an iMac as they are just a better built machine that appear to outlast their usefulness.

Why not just go the way of a small form factor system? You can in most cases install a full length graphics card and they are very aesthetically pleasing as they are functional. There are plenty of manufacturers to choose from such as Shuttle, Thermaltake, Antec and I believe that CoolerMaster has one as well. Good luck!
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

iMacs? Bitch please. It's far overpriced.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you want a "real" computer check out the mITX route.

See example here:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1922/1/
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I've been shopping out the mini-itx machines. They would be a perfect option if I could really find a way to make sure it's invisible, but I think the VESA mounted computer is the best idea I've heard. I'm going to really start looking into my options.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Razorbacx wrote:I actually own an All In One HP Touchsmart PC and I hate it. I had to turn off the touchscreen, which was really money wasted, as I rarely used it and it was starting to glitch on me. They're not upgrade friendly and Major was dead on when he said that you'll not be able to upgrade the gpu as I've already gone down that road. After a year you're stuck with an Internet machine. If I could just shake my gaming bug I'd have bought an iMac as they are just a better built machine that appear to outlast their usefulness.

Why not just go the way of a small form factor system? You can in most cases install a full length graphics card and they are very aesthetically pleasing as they are functional. There are plenty of manufacturers to choose from such as Shuttle, Thermaltake, Antec and I believe that CoolerMaster has one as well. Good luck!
cut a hole in your kitchen countertop and mount it underneath so you can use it for recipes/video watching/etc while cooking. I think this is one of the coolest things i have ever seen, especially if you like to cook a lot. It isn't real easy to do if you have granite countertops or even some of the solid ones. With the regular particle board ones you can do it pretty easily though.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

cut a hole in your kitchen countertop and mount it underneath so you can use it for recipes/video watching/etc while cooking. I think this is one of the coolest things i have ever seen, especially if you like to cook a lot. It isn't real easy to do if you have granite countertops or even some of the solid ones. With the regular particle board ones you can do it pretty easily though.
I think you missed the part about my wife not liking my computer. I can assure you that she won't find cutting a hole in our kitchen counter a reasonable alternative.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

jakegub wrote:
I think you missed the part about my wife not liking my computer. I can assure you that she won't find cutting a hole in our kitchen counter a reasonable alternative.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than for permission :lol: :lol:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

XstollieX wrote:
jakegub wrote:
Perfect statement.

You want to cut a hole, she doesnt want you to cut a hole. We say CUT THE DAMN HOLE, so majority rules and you cut the hole. Let us know how it turns out or if you need to borrow a tent or sleeping bag :mrgreen:
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

KnightRid wrote:
XstollieX wrote:
jakegub wrote:
Perfect statement.

You want to cut a hole, she doesnt want you to cut a hole. We say CUT THE DAMN HOLE, so majority rules and you cut the hole. Let us know how it turns out or if you need to borrow a tent or sleeping bag :mrgreen:

Yeah, great advice for a happy holiday! I'd error on the side of caution and come up with plan B myself.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Have you considered building a mini ITX system...say inside a BitFenix Prodigy case?

You can pack a beast into these tiny cases, yet, they are stylish and take up very little space.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

lordvic wrote:Have you considered building a mini ITX system...say inside a BitFenix Prodigy case?

You can pack a beast into these tiny cases, yet, they are stylish and take up very little space.
Example - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2096/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I read the article.

I love the mini-iTX format. I'd still like it attached to the monitor and with a single plug to the outlet if possible.

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/alpha24/
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200