Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Post by Kaos Kid »

I've given up on the Rosewill Router being able to keep a connection going between it and my cable modem (Charter changed me to a Cisco DCP3008 but made no improvement, just lost access to modem logs :evil: ). Rosewill can't fix the DHCP/DNS resolve problem after two firmware upgrades so they are just stabbing in the dark. For the cost of the router, I would be lucky to break even trying to RMA so now I'm just looking to salvage something on the off chance that Rosewill will either fix it or DD-WRT will come out with a working aftermarket build that can fix it. I have too much of a conscience to dump this on some poor fool on Craigslist so I'm just going to try to make the best of it for the next month, after that I should be able to swing buying a new router. At the very least I'd like to try a workaround using both routers with the N router as an access point to allow me the faster N wireless speeds. That other thread has been beaten to death so I see this as a fresh start from a different angle.

I saw in one of the newegg reviews (a PAN, of course) that someone had success in using the Rosewill's radios with their older router. Since the reason I wanted this router was to move to wireless N, is that a feasible workaround for me? I would like to try this setup... Cisco Cable Modem>>>Linksys WRT54GL>>>Rosewill L600N>>>rest of my network. How would that work best? I currently have 2 kids PCs with wireless G adapters, an HTPC with wireless N adapter and a main PC using a dual-band 2.4/5Ghz wireless N adapter (by itself on 5Ghz radio band), and downstairs next to the modem/routers I have a videditing box that gets wired. Should I run the kids' wireless off the G router, and then connect the N router to a port on the G router to run the wireless N, or would I have to run all the wireless off the N router and just use the G router to keep a reliable connection from the cable modem? For any wired connections, should they come from the G router or the N router? What is the best way to accomplish this? In a nutshell the N router only drops connection with the cable modem so I lose internet, but its own network (from N router to wired PCs and wireless adapters) doesn't drop, I show a network connection but no internet access.

I'd like to try this workaround if feasible, even if just to buy some time before I can pull the trigger on a better dual-band router. I have a birthday in March so I'm expecting a cash windfall of TENS of dollars! :lol:

Thanks as always for your opinions and advice 8)
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Post by Clouseau »

I feel your pain. Charter replaced my D-Link DC-202 cable modem with that same Cisco / Lynksis one. If you look at the reviews on that modem, the majority are not all that favorable. Since they are no longer charging a rental fee for the modem decided to try it. Managed to get Charter to exchange the first one out with another of the same model and all has been fair winds and calm seas ever since. May be worth a try to have Charter to exchange it out.
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Post by Kaos Kid »

Well, I've already changed out two SB6121s, then they switched me to the Cisco modem and I've had the same problems so we've determined that it is the router at fault for dropping communication between itself and the cable modems, not Charters' modem (unless they are pulling a fast one). There has been no problem with the wireless part of the router though so I figure I could use it for the wireless and let the 54GL handle the handshake duties.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: