Random BSOD's

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Random BSOD's

Post by lordvic »

Recently I've been getting this BSOD at random times...but it seems to happen more frequent during load (i.e. Gaming).
I was suspecting it to be temperature related, but it does not seem to be the cause.

- The CPU never exceeds 52*C
- The NB idles at about 41*C, and goes up to 49*C
- SB doesn't go about 35*C
- the GPU caps out at approximately 51*C
- HDD / SSD temps seem to be perfectly normal

I ran WhoCrashed, and it came up with the following:

On Fri 03/05/2013 7:52:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050313-5335-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C00)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x21, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD5180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 03/05/2013 7:52:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalReturnToFirmware+0xB2D)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x21, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD5180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Checking the WhoCrashed logs, about 50% of the crashes from the above two - the other 50% is from graphics drivers freaking out at me when I tried to do some OC'ing on my HD 7970 (card is currently at stock so the issue hasn't come back up).

I'm using drivers 13.3 Beta and CAP 10.12 right now...not sure if it may or may not be related...
I thought it was my RAM timings causing issues so I loosened it a tiny bit from 8-9-8-34-21-1T to 8-9-8-36-21-1T...and it didn't help.
Bumped the CPU, CPU-NB, NB, and SB voltage up a tiny bit...and it didn't solve the issue either.

If anyone can help solve my mystery, that you be great!

EDIT:
Dropped my RAM back to stock "Auto" settings; I'll see if that helps.
If not, I guess I'll have to put my CPU and NB OC back down...

Hm...I don't believe my OS is corrupted from too tight RAM timings...
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
KnightRid

Re: Random BSOD's

Post by KnightRid »

Do each one and then see if it BSOD's afterwards.

do not overclock video, memory, chipset or cpu - set everything back to stock. ALWAYS do this first if you have problems.

Check for BIOS update.

Check for chipset or hardware updates

Check for windows updates/linux updates

completely remove video drivers and reinstall older version

See if any of those help the situation. Just curious, is this an AMD cpu?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Agreed with KnightRid...

Also, you can try running sfc.exe /scannow and reseat all hardware (video, sound, memory), clean system out while their removed.

Finally can always try the Startup Repair.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

KnightRid wrote:Do each one and then see if it BSOD's afterwards.

do not overclock video, memory, chipset or cpu - set everything back to stock. ALWAYS do this first if you have problems.

Check for BIOS update.

Check for chipset or hardware updates

Check for windows updates/linux updates

completely remove video drivers and reinstall older version

See if any of those help the situation. Just curious, is this an AMD cpu?
From what I know, the BIOS and chipset drivers I have now is the latest one ASUS has for the Crosshair V Formula (non-Z)..but I'll check if they have released newer ones.

I'll give the new 13.4 Drivers (or 13.5 Beta) a try.

Yes, it is an AMD CPU; Phenom II X6 1090T :) .
sgkean wrote:Agreed with KnightRid...

Also, you can try running sfc.exe /scannow and reseat all hardware (video, sound, memory), clean system out while their removed.

Finally can always try the Startup Repair.
Alrighty, I'll try those as well.
Thank you.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

lordvic wrote: From what I know, the BIOS and chipset drivers I have now is the latest one ASUS has for the Crosshair V Formula (non-Z)..but I'll check if they have released newer ones.

I'll give the new 13.4 Drivers (or 13.5 Beta) a try.

Yes, it is an AMD CPU; Phenom II X6 1090T :) .
NO beta drivers! Bad LordVic, bad. Go sit in the corner. LOL - I would go so far as to go back to the previous version or even 2 versions of the video driver before the latest just for testing.

One other thing. I see you had memory overclocked and then put it back so have you tested the memory to make sure it is still good? I would definitely run memtest or something to make sure.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

if it really is an overclock problem, run prime95 blend test for an hour, you'd get a blue screen right quick if it was, and furmark full screen highest settings, no AA to see if it has anything to do with graphics/GPU drivers
I would do both of the above on the overclocks you had been running up until you had issues, it may be only in the OS

And I wouldn't expect firmware because it had been running fine up until now but good to check anyway I suppose- and I agree NO BETA DRIVERS- especially for AMD GPUs, Catalyst suite has always been known to be buggy
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

I agree, I'd redo GPU drivers first.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Quick thing to add to your driver uninstall... After you uninstall the drivers don't reboot yet and run Driver Fusion (formerly Driver Sweeper) then reboot. See if that helps at all.
Driver Fusion download link.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Dammit! :shock:
I was using the Beta drivers because I was getting a "Device Hung" issue, and the release notes for the beta drivers had fixes some-what related to it. The drivers would just continuously crash & recover until either I reboot the system or the game crashes / closes from it.

"DirectX Error
DirectX functions "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed commands...
"

Uhh...I'' upload a picture of the error pop-up later today.

Side: I actually wanted to ask the LR crew if they ran into this issue when reviewing & benching the Radeon HD 7000 series cards...
I started a few threads about this on different forums but...have a look...
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview. ... erthread=y

Hey Major_A, I realized AMD had some kind of "Driver Sweeper" like program available, but I've never used it for any of my driver installs / uninstalls. I haven't had any issues with left-over driver bits since...my Radeon HD 4850. :)
I'll give them a try though.

I'll run some Prime95 / Furmark tests and report back.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Just an update

I updated the graphics drivers and chipset drivers...still running into the two issues.
Ran the RAM at stock timings...problem still appearing.

I'll check if my CPU overclock is stable or not...
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Run Memtest if you can, might be bad RAM.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Major_A wrote:Run Memtest if you can, might be bad RAM.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
That, plus, do not CHECK to see if your overclock is stable - set EVERYTHING back to stock. You can always overclock again, just remember your settings, if you still get BSOD'S. You should always go back to stock when you are having problems like this. [-X

could also do a sfc /scannow and a repair from windows disc just to make sure windows is not flubbed too.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Just a follow-up:

Tested some tests on the RAM and there was no issues with them.
Put my CPU and CPU-NB back to stock frequencies & voltages and ran a few tests and games - no BSOD.

Guess my OC was unstable.
Dammit! thought I could push my chip beyond the 4.0GHz level...but it may need more voltage 1.5V on the Core to get stable. :?
I don't believe the Frio can hold up with 1.5V+ (reason to get the H100 / H100i now maybe :P ).
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

glad you found it! Now the fun part will be to OC again within tolerances. It is geek heaven my friend!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Cool glad that was figured out. It should be pretty easy to find a decent overclock to start with just back it down a few steps and work it back up from there.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I had an overclock on my older C2Q that I thought was 100% stable. It never gave me any issues until I'd start a game of Company of Heroes, then came the BSOD. I struggled with what you went through until I lowered my clocks and figured out it wasn't as stable as I thought it was.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

glad you got it sorted but i'm running into the same problem with my C2D. got stable at 3.8ghz, 1.24 on the vcore and 4% on the vtt but only when playing call of duty modern warfare 3 it freezes then bsod. even when playing Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 and Planetside 2 the most cpu hungry games to date it runs fine. however, i am testing for higher stable clock with max vcore right now :lol:
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
skier

Post by skier »

DJ Tucker wrote:even when playing Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 and Planetside 2 the most cpu hungry games to date it runs fine. however, i am testing for higher stable clock with max vcore right now :lol:
cant speak of Planetside (as I've never heard of it) but Crysis has always been GPU-centric, with Battlefield right in the middle, whereas Call of Duty has actually been more CPU based. this is mainly because COD has unfortunately been tailored for Consoles.

or last I knew, CoD could only really use 2 cores, hence CPU bottleneck is more what I meant, where Battlefield 2 could use all 6 cores on the Thuban I used to have, as with Crysis, they were still more Graphically demanding. CoD may have more/less efficient object calculations though

/trying to explain why only CoD crashes
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups