Router's ALG Config Settings

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Router's ALG Config Settings

Post by Kaos Kid »

Dayum this DIR-850L Router has MANY more settings than my old Linksys G Router. In one of my router config pages I see settings that say they are for VPNs. If I don't run VPNs, do I need these settings enabled? I also don't use skype or VOIP from my router. Is there any reason for me to keep the following settings enabled, and if not will I see any benefit to disabling them?

PPTP

IPSec (VPN)

SIP

Thanks!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
skier

Re: Router's ALG Config Settings

Post by skier »

I would disable them, there may not be any noticeable difference but Routing overhead will be a little better
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Cool, thanks Ski
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

ALG - Application Level Gateway

PPTP - Point to Point VPN = disable no problem

IPSec (VPN) - Client VPN - disable no problem

SIP - VoIP - disable no problem

Disabling the above will not mean you can't have VoIP or a VPN, it just makes it harder to setup.
The ALG is to allow this traffic to passthrough and the sessions to be monitored and controlled correctly - if there's no device / client on th lan requiring it you turn it off.

If won't help with performance though. ALG on our router takes up 8 bytes of memory

ALG is sort of like a pre-defined port forward (not quite) - it's a security feature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-level_gateway