Building a PC? The eyes have it

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Building a PC? The eyes have it

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

You just can't take'em for granted.

There is nothing on earth more exciting than trying to connect the headers on a motherboard to the case when your right eye has a moving gray spot right in the middle of what you're looking at and your left eye suddenly has a detached retina.

If you want to know what that looks like, take a piece of plastic wrap, smear some vaseline on it, trail some black ink over that, mix in a tad of red dye then hold it over your eye & try to look through it. It's kind of like being inside the back drop at an acid rock concert in the 60s. Y'know the ones that looked like cells dividing or a lava lamp gone crazy.

On top of that, your depth perception is completely fubar. It's taken me 45 minutes to do the audio, USB & front panel.

More often than not it sucks to be me. Growing old definitely sucks.

Since everyone's taking a nap here, I thought I'd share this with y'all.
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Building a PC? The eyes have it

Post by Kaos Kid »

I know what you mean, I have to look at everything close with either reading glasses or more often a magnifying glass. And it seemed to happen all at once, too, not gradually.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Yeah, it's not a gradual thing at all. 2 weeks ago everything was just fine. Then I started seeing small floaters. I had been to the optometrist & he said I'll "eventually" have to have surgery to repair the leaky blood vessel(s). Then, right when everything came in for these two builds, I'm completely blind in my left eye.

Had the same thing happen 2 years ago with my right eye. First, detached retina, then a cataract a year later. My near-field vision's still not right on it so, like you said, magnifying glass for anything intricate (like connecting the front panel header).

It's funny that I finally got my blood sugar pretty well controlled after some 35 years of diabetes and now my body falls apart. :finga:

No truer words were ever spoken than, "You are where you are in life as a direct result of your past choices."
~Bob Dylan
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

That doesn't sound that fun. Take care of yourself!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Turns out my retina was not detached, thank God, but the vessels were leaking pretty darn good. Surgery went well & I'm slowly regaining my vision.

First couple of days I had to sit with my eyes closed because the scars gave me the sensation of something perpetually in my eye. Closing the one eye didn't help.

The lack of activity caused my blood sugar to go insane and playing catch-up naturally interferes with healing. Too low is more dangerous than too high but too high is destructive. So it's just a barrel of damn monkeys around here.

Hopefully another few days & things' ll be more stable
~Bob Dylan
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Here's to good thoughts coming your way, hope you heal and recover soon!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Kaos Kid wrote:Here's to good thoughts coming your way, hope you heal and recover soon!
Amen to that
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks everyone! It's one day at a time and, so far, every day has been a little better. The next hurdle is to be able to take my trip to visit my brother & Mom
~Bob Dylan