Unable to create new folders Win 7 SP1

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Unable to create new folders Win 7 SP1

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Here I am in South Texas, about the same distance from Mexico as I am from Canada at home. I'm using my brother's HP p6214y to rip a couple of his CDs to my phone when I discovered I can't make a new folder. Anywhere. I found a couple of scripts that allegedly create the necessary entries in the Registry but neither worked. One ran successfully but made no difference, the other claims (roughly paraphrased) "the keys are in use and cannot be modified". Same result in Safe Mode.

Computer Properties claim this is 32-bit 7 Ultimate SP1 but I've never seen Task Manager look like this (See below) There are no tabs at the top of the window and no way to make them appear that I could find. There is also no way to close the window other than to end the taskmanager process or close it from the taskbar.

I also got a couple of core dumps for my trouble. So I'm off to run some diagnostics.

Brief specs include Athlon II X4 620; 8 GB RAM (only 3.25 usable of course); 1 TB WD HDD.User account is Administrator

Any ideas aside from reinstalling OS?

Thanks, as always,
Jack
Attachments
Notice no tabs at top of window
Notice no tabs at top of window
TaskMgr_red1.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Re: Unable to create new folders Win 7 SP1

Post by KnightRid »

double click the edge of the task manager window to see the tabs again - that white space on the left before the edge of the whole window and the internal box with the tasks listed.

Try rebooting in safe mode and see if you can create a folder. It may just be something simple like the user account had the permissions turned off.....
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks! Should've known it would be something obscurely simple!! :oops:

Apparently at least one of the scripts worked. I had tried creating a folder in Safe Mode but it didn't work there either. Nor did it work after running the script, shutting down the PC afterward then rebooting it the first time. After about the 3rd restart for other reasons it suddenly started working again.

Ah, well, back to the old grind. Thanks again for the assist!!
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I love whacky computer things :) Hope it keeps working for you!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Me too. It's my brother's computer. He's not very tech savvy plus he's been fighting colon cancer for 3 years. Everyone's astonished he's still alive. He's very weak so trying even to fix a minor glitch is too much for him.

This is the first time I've seen him in over 18 months. I was shocked at how much weight he's lost. He was a BIG guy. All-Conference Defensive Lineman in HS. Boxed for a while. Always did construction work. Looked awesome at 270 but now is about 175-180. I almost didn't recognize him.

He's the perennial big brother. If I ever needed anything he was there for me. Wish there was something, anything, I could do for him. Sory. The tears are coming. Can't see to type.
~Bob Dylan
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

unfaithfulsfan wrote:Me too. It's my brother's computer. He's not very tech savvy plus he's been fighting colon cancer for 3 years. Everyone's astonished he's still alive. He's very weak so trying even to fix a minor glitch is too much for him.

This is the first time I've seen him in over 18 months. I was shocked at how much weight he's lost. He was a BIG guy. All-Conference Defensive Lineman in HS. Boxed for a while. Always did construction work. Looked awesome at 270 but now is about 175-180. I almost didn't recognize him.

He's the perennial big brother. If I ever needed anything he was there for me. Wish there was something, anything, I could do for him. Sory. The tears are coming. Can't see to type.
I've been through it, all you can do is let him know you're there. Trying anything else will do no good for either of you.

It's a tough time, but be thankful he has you and your family.

My thoughts are with you & your brother

Ken
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks, Ken. Both my brothers were diagnosed with cancer less than 30 days apart. I lost my oldest brother 6 months after his initial diagnosis. He had a tumor in his esophagus but it quickly spread to his liver & that was it.

I've been down here about a week but this morning was when it really hit me.

Just don't get it. No history of cancer any where in my family other than Mom's bouts with skin cancers & having those burned off. I'm convinced it's our food & water supply that's killing everyone. There’s no other rational explanation.

Thanks again for the support.
~Bob Dylan