Windows 8.1 Pro 32 BIT Computers

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sowser13
Legit User
Legit User

Windows 8.1 Pro 32 BIT Computers

Post by Sowser13 »

A client of mine needs to run a specific application that requires Windows 8.1 Pro 32 BIT OS but I haven't been able to find any pre built 32 bit systems for sale out there and I'd rather not build them myself. Does anyone know any place that still sells them or how complicated it is to buy a 64 bit machine and downgrade it to 32 bit?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro 32 BIT Computers

Post by sbohdan »

Well just get a copy of windows 8.1 32bit and take the computer (any computer) format the hard drive and clean install the windows copy.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Sowser13
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sowser13 »

I'll be installing on 4 different computers so if I buy 4 Windows 8.1 Pro 64 BIT computers do you know if I can install the same Windows 8.1 Pro 32 BIT software on all 4 but still use the license that the computers came with or would I need 4 separate copies of 32 bit?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

First, are you SURE the program does not work on 64-bit windows? I would at least try it before deciding to go for a 32-bit operating system that (in my opinion) should not even be produced any more. Seriously, try it. I have not had a program that wouldn't run on a 64-bit OS in a long time.

Second - I am pretty sure Windows 7 licenses' could be used on either version so I am going to guess Windows 8 would probably be the same.

Third - Why bother with Windows 8 at all? Stick with Windows 7 and be a lot happier. There are a ton of computers out there that still have Windows 7 on them due to the hatred of Windows 8.

Fourth - If that specific program will not run on 64-bit I would recommend STRONGLY that they get the program redone to work on 64-bit because 32-bit is on its way out the door as all cpus (correct me if I am wrong) are now 64-bit natively.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Sowser13
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sowser13 »

1. Yes, unfortunately the program does not work with 64bit. I've talked to the programmer directly and he's working on a 64bit version but it isn't ready yet. The server can be 64 bit but the client computers can't open the program unless they are 32 bit.

2. Thanks for the info on how Windows 7 works. I'm hoping that it's the same for Windows 8

3. No doubt about Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 but the one thing that 8 Pro has that 7 doesn't is Bitlocker, which, since these are going into a medical office, is HIPA compliant.

4. I totally agree that they need to update the software or they are going to start losing clients.

Thanks for the feedback! I still beat my head around trying to find some Windows 8.1 PRO 32 bit computers but it looks like I'll have to go with 64 bit and then downgrade to 32 bit. #-o
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

Oops just realized that I logged in with the wrong account... here I am!
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Umm, Windows 7 has bitlocker :)

problem solved!!! lol

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... /bitlocker

It is the Ultimate and Enterprise editions that have it.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
esheery
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by esheery »

thanks Mod for link