DNS Servers

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

DNS Servers

Post by Kaos Kid »

Hmmm. It has been awhile since Spectrum internet has "filled in" the blanks for DNS Servers in my router. I have manually used Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) when Spectrums went wonky (was still Charter at the time). I switched to Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) and I thought that was done. However, I happened to do a DNS leak test and found that my DNS queries were bouncing around to at least 6 different Spectrum servers in my area before resolving through them. I did something I've never had to do, manually fill in the DNS server addresses I desired to the network adapter properties in my PC along with having them listed in my router. I again ran DNS Leak Test and saw it only querying Cloudflare servers so I assume that I succeeded in removing Spectrum's DNS servers from the loop. Did I really have to do that, or am I missing something? Thanks.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DNS Servers

Post by Apoptosis »

hummm

What DNS leak test did you use? I can try to replicate here.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Sorry, I didn't see this. After experimentation, I found that although I had 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 set as DNS in my router, it was still showing DNS requests to Charter DNS servers. After going in to network settings for the connection in Windows and manually setting the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, now when I run dnsleaktest.com it only shows Cloudflare servers so I guess it is bypassing Charter/Spectrum DNS servers. Things seem pretty snappy so I'm OK with it for now. Do I have any reason to trust Clouidflare any less than Spectrum with my DNS requests?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I don't trust anything to be 100% secure and safe on the internet so I would say both are equal.

I am surprised you can hide from all their servers since they are providing the internet service. Your modem still have to send info to them to make sure you are a paying customer and such so they can probably see all the settings and change them if they want (old cable system at old house used a config file in the modem to do this and could update it whenever they wanted) so just keep an eye on the settings to make sure they stick.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

They updated my internet and modem 6 months after everyone else, this 3.1 modem is Spectrum branded and doesn't want you to get into it to see stats. I've used the workaround but it is a PIA and not worth the trouble. I'm still using my DLink DIR-850L AC1200 router.