Network demands for mulitiple streaming devices

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Network demands for mulitiple streaming devices

Post by Kaos Kid »

How do I tell what my network demands are for X amount of streaming devices? I've got the 200mbps Spectrum, and an AC1200 dual band router. When I get the cord cut, I will need to use internet for streaming for at least 4 TVs, 3 phones, an XBox One, an XBox 360, and at least 4 PCs. I assume my Spectrum service is fast enough, but will my current router handle the load when I switch to ROKU or some other streaming adapter on the TVs? I'm thinking stronger AC router to raise wireless bandwidth or a repeater/extender type to put out to improve signal in farthest parts of house. Currently my router is in an unfinished basement of a 1500 sq ft single story house. Anyone else out there recently make the switch and can pass on some of their research? Thanks!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Network demands for mulitiple streaming devices

Post by DJ Tucker »

I have 2 pcs and smart tv connected via ethernet and 2 smart phones and a tablet via wireless to a simple 100mbps wireless router on an 80mbps down and 20mbps up ISP. Usually only my pc is using the bandwidth which I have set to up to 95% bandwidth use all other devices are only allowed to use what ever bandwidth is left minus 5% to reduce packet loss and congestion.

Have never hit more than 72mbps (95%) (I get 76mbps down and 19.5mbps up) total use at any one time across multiple devices all downloading the same file and only had 2% packet loss and zero congestion thanks to my setup. Before this setup I was having heavy packet loss and congestion as all devices tried to use everything it could slowing everything right down.

So based on your setup a wireless booster is recommended for the further devices and the ac1200 dual band router with a switch can easily handle 200mbps across all them devices at once without congestion. Try and setup and per device limit if possible like I have and you should be good to go 8)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah I had a feeling that my router even as old as it is should be able to handle what I have going. I was just afraid that the extra demands of streaming TV would put it at the limit. Everybody has a tv going at any given time, while also playing on their phones or game consoles. I myself have the TV on in the living room and use the PC next to it at the same time.

The modem coax comes in to my basement and is just strung along the joists until it drops down at my workbench, that is why the router is downstairs. Ductwork is in the way of running a coax up through the wall in the LR that it would need to route through so that will be a PITA if I wanted to move the router upstairs.

Would those settings you mention have anything to do with the QOS? There is a section for that in my router settings but I've never used it, never really felt I needed it. Now I may though, my son alone has his xbox one going playing fortnite while he does video editing on his pc and his phone is there too. How he can multitask all the devices at the same time is beyond me, I'm lucky to do two things at the same time.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I always thought QOS was a best guestimate type of solution where they router tries to decide what traffic is more important by the use or weakness of what is coming through. I would guess it would prioritize your sons because he is using the most.

AC1200 should handle close to a gig of traffic a the same time so more than your internet offers (5 times more - in theory it should be 6 times more for the 1.2 but overhead, etc). The problem from the router comes into play if you have a home NAS or movie server that you want multiple people to use at the same time as the wireless will get over burdened if there are a lot of high end bluray/4k movies that are 30gb+ in size as it takes a lot to transfer those files and keep them from buffering/stuttering.

Downloading a file on ANY one of them will make the internet slower if it uses the whole pipeline to get the file as fast as it can. You could set limits in the router per IP for speed to limit each instance to a certain bandwidth but then downloading those 40gb games on xbox/ps4/pc will take a LOT longer.

REMEMBER - your output from the router while using the internet is limited by your internet. Your router is 6x faster than your internet connection but it still cant pull in movies any faster than your internet allows.

I think you need more internet! Maybe get another line in the house. Can you imagine the bandwidth 4k movies take, sending to 4 tvs while playing xbox or heaven forbid downloading a game that is 60gb+. Look at DJ's setup which is WAY less than yours and he reaches 95% saturation....

Cutting cords seems to save money until you try to stream everything ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

I just re-read the post and saw you plan on streaming 4 tv's. In that case you maybe pushing 200mbps. A friend of mine in Denmark has 250mbps down and 250mbps up and with 2 pc's, 2 tv's, 2 phones and a tablet. He hits 30% saturation of his total bandwidth with both tv's streaming 1080p content. so 4 tv's will hit 60% which is roughly 150mbps. so it be in your best interest to cap bandwidth to each tv to say 20% around 40mbps per tv leaving 20% for the rest maybe as tv seems to be high demand for your household.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:19 pm I just re-read the post and saw you plan on streaming 4 tv's. In that case you maybe pushing 200mbps. A friend of mine in Denmark has 250mbps down and 250mbps up and with 2 pc's, 2 tv's, 2 phones and a tablet. He hits 30% saturation of his total bandwidth with both tv's streaming 1080p content. so 4 tv's will hit 60% which is roughly 150mbps. so it be in your best interest to cap bandwidth to each tv to say 20% around 40mbps per tv leaving 20% for the rest maybe as tv seems to be high demand for your household.
And don't even think about doing 4K ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Build yourself a pfSense router.

Run ethernet cable to as many locations as possible.
Use gigabit switches.

Load access points to no more devices than physically possible.
For full streaming, I'd recommend no more than 2 devices per access point.

Yes, I have zero confidence in the reliability of wifi.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes it works today, and not tomorrow.
There is no true substitution for wires when it comes to reliability.

JMO
Not worth a lot.
:)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DL126 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 am Yes, I have zero confidence in the reliability of wifi.

JMO
Not worth a lot.
YES YES YES - THANK YOU!!!! For years I keep saying wifi is NOT READY because there are so many limitations on where it can send the signal. Router in 1 room and no signal in the adjacent room, etc. I run cables for everything I can and am WAY happier for it!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:58 am
DL126 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 am Yes, I have zero confidence in the reliability of wifi.

JMO
Not worth a lot.
YES YES YES - THANK YOU!!!! For years I keep saying wifi is NOT READY because there are so many limitations on where it can send the signal. Router in 1 room and no signal in the adjacent room, etc. I run cables for everything I can and am WAY happier for it!
I have holes in the ceiling of 2 closets and 2 floors to get everything wired except 1 puter!
Yeah and phones.
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

One thing I can say, I wish I knew then what I know now. When I built 20 years ago, I had coax cable and phone line wired to bedrooms, living room, kitchen. Still use the coax for cable internet, but the phone lines are useless, only running one line to kitchen now where wireless base is and have handsets in 4 rooms. I wish to hell I would have had ethernet wires installed at the same time, then I would only need wifi for phones.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Kaos Kid wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 pm One thing I can say, I wish I knew then what I know now. When I built 20 years ago, I had coax cable and phone line wired to bedrooms, living room, kitchen. Still use the coax for cable internet, but the phone lines are useless, only running one line to kitchen now where wireless base is and have handsets in 4 rooms. I wish to hell I would have had ethernet wires installed at the same time, then I would only need wifi for phones.
If you remove the phone panels and attach a network cable to the opposite end, you may be able to pull it through the same holes the phone line is in and replace the phone panel with a network panel. Of course you have to have a crimper, tester, etc so you can make your own cabels as I doubt the ends would fit through the wall cavity.
MarilynJ1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by MarilynJ1 »

KnightRid wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 am
Kaos Kid wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:02 pm One thing I can say, I wish I knew then what I know now. When I built 20 years ago, I had coax cable and phone line wired to bedrooms, living room, kitchen. Still use the coax for cable internet, but the phone lines are useless, only running one line to kitchen now where wireless base is and have handsets in 4 rooms. I wish to hell I would have had ethernet wires installed at the same time, then I would only need wifi for phones.
If you remove the phone panels and attach a network cable to the opposite end, you may be able to pull it through the same holes the phone line is in and replace the phone panel with a network panel. Of course you have to have a crimper, tester, etc so you can make your own cabels as I doubt the ends would fit through the wall cavity.
Network sports broadcasts are pretty hard to come by with Sling TV.