New Build?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Post Reply
User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Considering new build! :)
Sold one of my cars a couple months ago and saved some of that money.
Now with a possible Gov't Check coming,
I'm considering putting that back into the economy!
If I do this, it will not be anything extravagant, but better than what I have now!

So I'm here to ask opinions on GPUs.
I don't game much at all, but I do some video editing, streaming(up to & including 4k)....etc!
I have not set a budget yet, just getting my thoughts started!

So far I'm set on....
ASUS MB
AMD Ryzen

Then there's.....
PSU ?

Memory ?

Cooling (CPU)?

SSD ?

Keyboard/Mouse ?

BD/DVD Drives ??? To have or not have! DVD Creation is a bit of an interest to me!

Case ?
Unfortunately, IF I decide to go with BD Drive(s) that narrows down case choices A LOT!
But...I have an old(prolly 20yrs old) Lian Li all aluminum full tower,
that I've considered modding with bigger fans for quieter running!
When it had all the 80mm fans running at full speed, you could hear it in the next room!
Back in the day it was a Top of the Line case!
Its one downfall is cable management! It will take a lot of longer cables to get it all hidden with a lot of work!

Alright, let's hear it!
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4030
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: New Build?

Post by KnightRid » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 am

gpu - anything will do what you want. I think a gtx 1660 will do 4k video editing also but if you want a lot of it done then I would go as as much as you can afford and stick with nvidia because of Cuda! Amazing how much uses Cuda.

PSU will depend on what cpu and gpu you want ;)

Mem - unless overclocking to the max, it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference in real world stuff from what I have found.

Cooling - water - garden hose is fine :lol: If you want to go all out then do a custom water cooling solution. If not just buy one of the closed loop systems (really most will do the same unless you go for extreme performance) like coolermaster or corsair offers.

SSD - yes plus a regular hard drive for storage. 2 ssd and a storage would be the best as you could use 1 for swap.

dvd/bluray - YES YES YES YES YES - digital is NOT as good as the physical disc! You could always buy an external one or get an external case for it so you would not have to have it inside the main case.

Keyboard/mouse - personal preference really. Depends if you like mechanical, regular, virtual, etc.

Case - so many - https://www.legitreviews.com/xpg-invade ... sis_216505 - https://www.legitreviews.com/fractal-de ... iew_217535 - or coolermaster mastercase
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:15 am

KnightRid wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 am
gpu - anything will do what you want. I think a gtx 1660 will do 4k video editing also but if you want a lot of it done then I would go as as much as you can afford and stick with nvidia because of Cuda! Amazing how much uses Cuda.

PSU will depend on what cpu and gpu you want ;)

Mem - unless overclocking to the max, it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference in real world stuff from what I have found.

Cooling - water - garden hose is fine :lol: If you want to go all out then do a custom water cooling solution. If not just buy one of the closed loop systems (really most will do the same unless you go for extreme performance) like coolermaster or corsair offers.

SSD - yes plus a regular hard drive for storage. 2 ssd and a storage would be the best as you could use 1 for swap.

dvd/bluray - YES YES YES YES YES - digital is NOT as good as the physical disc! You could always buy an external one or get an external case for it so you would not have to have it inside the main case.

Keyboard/mouse - personal preference really. Depends if you like mechanical, regular, virtual, etc.

Case - so many - https://www.legitreviews.com/xpg-invade ... sis_216505 - https://www.legitreviews.com/fractal-de ... iew_217535 - or coolermaster mastercase
Ok, I agree with what you posted!
I'm looking for Brand recommendations! I've been out of the market for a couple years!
Who makes the most reliable GPU, Memory, SSD & BD Burners?
Yeah when it comes to a case, its freakin' crazy whats out there!
I use(d) Enermax, NZXT, Corsair, CoolerMaster, Antec, Lian Li, Thermaltake, Fractal Design and several off brands!
I like my Antecs(2x 900), CoolerMaster(690) & Corsair(600T)!
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Posts: 4720
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 10:24 am
Location: STL

Re: New Build?

Post by bubba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am

I actively HATE RGB and full temper glass cases... that being said.

I would throw the Fractal Design R6 USB-C in the ring as an option. Has 1 external 5.25 bay, and more importantly, a clean no glass option.
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... eviews=all

If going Ryzen, Micro Center has the 2700X for $180 right now. Its a solid processor. My desktop at work is running it, and I have three VM servers running a 2700X. If you're feeling saucy, MC has the 3700X for $270.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 pm

bubba wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am
I actively HATE RGB and full temper glass cases... that being said.

I would throw the Fractal Design R6 USB-C in the ring as an option. Has 1 external 5.25 bay, and more importantly, a clean no glass option.
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... eviews=all

If going Ryzen, Micro Center has the 2700X for $180 right now. Its a solid processor. My desktop at work is running it, and I have three VM servers running a 2700X. If you're feeling saucy, MC has the 3700X for $270.
:) I think I heard your RGB bug bite before!
Personally a LITTLE light in your/my life is not a total disaster! Just a little!

I do like the FD R6 window version!
It chks most of the feature boxes I'm interested in!
Especially the 5.25 bay! Just wish there were 2!
Definitely on my list!

So I started looking at CPUs.....I seen the 3400G($198) with built in Radeon Vega 11 graphics!
Any opinions on onboard graphics and particularly Radeon's Vega 11?
I did the AMD onboard graphics many years ago and for basic use they were adequate!
Any gaming though was a waste of time!
Has this changed?
What video editing I do do, is minimal and not a big concern. Just something I piddle with!

If I go H2O it will not be a custom setup! Too much work<<< and expense!
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4030
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: New Build?

Post by KnightRid » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 am

Built in graphics are way better than they used to be but still short of a dedicated card. It should be able to play at 1080p if you lower graphics settings....mostly. I don't think you could buy the new Doom game and play it at 1080p (maybe but I think the settings would have to be at the lowest point).

For normal everyday use they are great and for casual gaming they are just fine. It is the higher end gaming you wont be able to do.
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:48 am

KnightRid wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 am
Built in graphics are way better than they used to be but still short of a dedicated card. It should be able to play at 1080p if you lower graphics settings....mostly. I don't think you could buy the new Doom game and play it at 1080p (maybe but I think the settings would have to be at the lowest point).

For normal everyday use they are great and for casual gaming they are just fine. It is the higher end gaming you wont be able to do.
I haven't really gamed outside of console since HL2 & expansions!
DOOM has kinda caught my eye! Been many years!
Doom, Unreal, Quake & HL(2)
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 am

Well, that monkey wrench showed up this week!
In the form of my youngest moving back home, for who knows how long!
And with her came my last Build!(2015)

AMD A-10 7870K w/Radeon 7 Graphics
ASUS ROG Crossblade Ranger
16GB Memory

So, I guess my new build is...... #-o
But hey, Its a pretty nice unit and it will suit my needs!
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Hardbase Headquaters
Contact:

Re: New Build?

Post by DJ Tucker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:10 pm

I guess that saves you some cash for now right? Also not a bad little setup even for its age. I even used my 2600k gtx 780 build until I got my 9100f for testing my mobo for that dead cpu. That old system still has some grunt left in her and hopefully so does that 7870k :)
9600kf 5.0ghz (1.264v)|Z390 Asrock Phantom Gaming 6|16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz|RTX 2070 1965mhz (0.950v)|Corsair HX1000i|128gb Silicon Power NVME (OS)|2tb WD Blue M.2 SSD (Games)|Aqua Computer D5 Next Pump|Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora CPU Block|Watercool Heatkiller IV GPU Block|360+240mm Radiators|Vector VDM01

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 pm

DJ Tucker wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:10 pm
I guess that saves you some cash for now right? Also not a bad little setup even for its age. I even used my 2600k gtx 780 build until I got my 9100f for testing my mobo for that dead cpu. That old system still has some grunt left in her and hopefully so does that 7870k :)
Its funny how things work out!
This is the 2nd time this system came back!
She gave it back about a year or so ago(I dont remember)
Then asked for it back since her & her boyfriend were doing some classes online!
And here it is again!

The funnier part is, I built this for the exact reason I was going to do the new build for!
When she moved out 3yrs ago she asked about something for her and I loaned it to her.
Figuring I'd never get it back! :lol:

Yes, saved a bit of cash! :mrgreen:
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Hardbase Headquaters
Contact:

Re: New Build?

Post by DJ Tucker » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 am

Sounds like the system has spent more time outside than me :lol:
9600kf 5.0ghz (1.264v)|Z390 Asrock Phantom Gaming 6|16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz|RTX 2070 1965mhz (0.950v)|Corsair HX1000i|128gb Silicon Power NVME (OS)|2tb WD Blue M.2 SSD (Games)|Aqua Computer D5 Next Pump|Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora CPU Block|Watercool Heatkiller IV GPU Block|360+240mm Radiators|Vector VDM01

User avatar
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:24 pm
Location: St. Charles, Mo.

Re: New Build?

Post by camaroguy1998 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:36 am

DJ Tucker wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 am
Sounds like the system has spent more time outside than me :lol:
:lol: Me2! :lol:
Went out today, first time since Monday!
Filled up the car and picked up some lottery tickets!
ASUS Crosshair V- Formula Z - AMD 9590H2O
16G GSkill RipJaw - CoolerMaster Seidon cooler
Corsair RM750X - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
ASUS BW-12B1ST BD Burners(X2)
EVGA 560ti SC
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor
Corsair 600T case

User avatar
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am
Location: Hardbase Headquaters
Contact:

Re: New Build?

Post by DJ Tucker » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 pm

I took a speaker to my local post office to be returned as they sent me 2 by mistake. Glad I got out as it's been nice weather over here. Also as a kind gesture they are going to refund me as most people would have kept it. So it pays to be kind to people :)
9600kf 5.0ghz (1.264v)|Z390 Asrock Phantom Gaming 6|16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz|RTX 2070 1965mhz (0.950v)|Corsair HX1000i|128gb Silicon Power NVME (OS)|2tb WD Blue M.2 SSD (Games)|Aqua Computer D5 Next Pump|Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora CPU Block|Watercool Heatkiller IV GPU Block|360+240mm Radiators|Vector VDM01

alexawiliams784
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 am

Re: New Build?

Post by alexawiliams784 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:13 am

Sounds Great!

Post Reply