Need some help - USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports only givng 500mA - SOLVED

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

Need some help - USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports only givng 500mA - SOLVED

Post by KnightRid »

Ok so I got a Revopoint POP 3d scanner from the kickstarter which requires power from a USB 3.0 or higher port because it needs more than 500mA to operate even though it is still considered a USB 2.0 product. My problem is that no matter what I have tried, I get only 500mA from any port I plug it in to. I went out and bought a powered USB 3.0 hub thinking that would work but it does the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can see what is going on or what I can change to get more power to go through when I hook it to a 3.1 or 3.0 port?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 in case you need that. Every driver says it is up to date, including the bios.

I am using - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html - to view the power for the USB ports.

i was thinking about buying a Y adapter (1 female to 2 male) so I can plug it into 2 usb ports on the computer so it can pull double the power but not sure if that would work and the y cables I have here are either all male or a special connector to 2 male (for cooling fan pads under a laptop).

SOLVED - Lovely Windows 10 and it's security crap strikes again. Had to go in to the privacy settings and make sure the camera is allowed for apps to access. Seriously, this was the problem. I am guessing most desktops have this disabled because they don't have webcams built in or maybe i disabled it at some point, not sure. Anyway, it is fixed and if anyone has this problem you can fix it too. This was solved by someone else through the Revopoint forums (although the person posted on facecrap I believe).
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Need some help - USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports only givng 500mA

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Don't know much(anything) about the scanner sooo.. I'm guessing it does not work at all!?
A simple questions, have you tried using another PC/Laptop?(Make sure the scanner is not the issue)
The initial video I watched the guy connected to a Laptop, hard to believe it would put out more power than a PC!
Have you contacted Gigabyte with your issue?
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yes, I tried on my laptop but did not work. It is an old Dell Studio XPS 1645 so I thought it only had USB 2.0 ports and would not work.

I did not give Gigabyte an email but I shall do that today.

The scanner does work when I use my cell phone with it hooked to a portable battery pack so I know the scanner does function.

I just don't get why a powered usb hub would not give enough power.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:53 am Yes, I tried on my laptop but did not work. It is an old Dell Studio XPS 1645 so I thought it only had USB 2.0 ports and would not work.

The scanner does work when I use my cell phone with it hooked to a portable battery pack so I know the scanner does function.

I'd definitely get a hold of Gigabyte....
Check the specs on the USB hub, With that said, I'd bet that the hub has a power regulator!
I'm sure they would not want to be liable for damage to someones USB powered device!
So it may be regulated to something Most devices will work with!

Let us know how it goes!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:21 pm
KnightRid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:53 am Yes, I tried on my laptop but did not work. It is an old Dell Studio XPS 1645 so I thought it only had USB 2.0 ports and would not work.

I'd definitely get a hold of Gigabyte....
Check the specs on the USB hub, With that said, I'd bet that the hub has a power regulator!
I'm sure they would not want to be liable for damage to someones USB powered device!
So it may be regulated to something Most devices will work with!

Let us know how it goes!
I will let you know. Might take a bit to get a response from Gigabyte, if at all. I filled out the web form yesterday and sent it so we shall see.

I was always under the impression that ANY usb 3.0 port should provide 900mA (1500mA on dedicated charge ports), usb 2.0 gives 500mA and usb 3.1 gives 2500mA or maybe 5000mA, can't remember off the top of my head. I just don't get why some people have gotten the scanners to work. I know one person said they had to plug it into a charging port on their laptop to get enough power.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Just an update from the response I got from Gigabyte...
It may just be related to the hardware itself if you had isolated with multiple USB platform with the same reports as USB are just PnP power. There's no way to controlling or setting the amount of power output from the USB ports as it's autmotic.
They are saying it is the scanner causing the problems. Which it very well could be but it makes no sense why using a powered hub it STILL won't work on this main system but I can use the powered hub on my laptop and it works for the scanner even though the laptop only has USB 2.0. So confusing.

Figured I would post this just to keep anyone who finds the thread with the same problems in the loop.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

have you installed the latest bios for that board and checked the bios for any options to enable usb 3 as it can be disabled on my board and turns all usb 3 into usb 2 when disabled.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:40 pm have you installed the latest bios for that board and checked the bios for any options to enable usb 3 as it can be disabled on my board and turns all usb 3 into usb 2 when disabled.
Yes, I did update the bios to the newest and checked the drivers. I did forget to check the bios to make sure it kept all the settings though so I will do that after my pain doc appointment today!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

after a bios update all setting are reverted to default so if you changed anything it would be back at default
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Re: Need some help - USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports only givng 500mA - SOLVED

Post by KnightRid »

SOLVED - Lovely Windows 10 and it's security crap strikes again. Had to go in to the privacy settings and make sure the camera is allowed for apps to access. Seriously, this was the problem. I am guessing most desktops have this disabled because they don't have webcams built in or maybe i disabled it at some point, not sure. Anyway, it is fixed and if anyone has this problem you can fix it too. This was solved by someone else through the Revopoint forums (although the person posted on facecrap I believe).
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Need some help - USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports only givng 500mA - SOLVED

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:04 am SOLVED - Lovely Windows 10 and it's security crap strikes again. Had to go in to the privacy settings and make sure the camera is allowed for apps to access. Seriously, this was the problem. I am guessing most desktops have this disabled because they don't have webcams built in or maybe i disabled it at some point, not sure. Anyway, it is fixed and if anyone has this problem you can fix it too. This was solved by someone else through the Revopoint forums (although the person posted on facecrap I believe).
Good to hear! =D>
I hate when you spend hours, days or weeks trying to figure out an issue and it takes 30 seconds to fix when you do!

Corsair 4000D Airflow