Home Network? How the heck do I do it?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Home Network? How the heck do I do it?

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Ok, not that I have my other computer back from the shop and getting windows reinstalled, I'd like to know about home networks. I clicked on the network wizard but for my set up, it says it's not recommended and not secure, matter of fact, about everything I read on there said it wasn't secure. So thought I'd ask everyone.

I have 4 computers, within one room, all hooked thru ethernet router and all have access to the internet thru the router. That's my layout. When I click on it in the wizard, it says not to use it. I went past that step anyway to read, and it says that file and printer sharing is a threat to security. Isn't that what a home network is for? I would like to be able to share files between computes without burning to a disk or trying to get hotmail to let me send it thru email, but are those the best ways to do it still? I was even thinking about buying an exteranl HD and just copying all 4 computers on to it.

What does everyone think and what do I do? What's the best/easiest way without letting everyone into my computers? Thanks for any help.
NZXT Tempest Case with Ultra X3 1000w PS...............Velociraptor 300gb HD
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i have a simple basic network kinda like what you are looking at. Alls i do is go through the wizard in win XP, tell it to set up small home or office network. pick my name and stuff, i dont make the back up thing (i pick "just finsih the setup" something like that). I also have file and print sharing on. I run the wizard on all the computers in the network. then go to the what you want to share. If it is the entire C drive, right click on C in my computer, then tell it share. thats about it. sorry about the lack of exact descriptions...not on a win XP comp. That setup is simple and basic.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

its right if you have a router then you dont need to use it. Just set the router to NAT and DHCP, make sure all the computers attached are set to the same workgroup and your done... if you want to share a printer, just select the printer right click on it hit share and your done.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

router

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Ok, I understand the wizard. The securtiy things is something I don't need to worry about that the wizard lists? Letting file and print sharing happen isn't a big deal either then?

Also, How do I set the router to NAT and DHCP and what is that? lol. Yea, don't know much about much, but less about networks. I know to set the work group to "fred's workgroup" or whatever on all computes. Will the router setting affect any of the computers getting on line or playing games?

Is there anything I should do to proctect the computers from people coming into them from the internet?
Thanks again
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

I give you credit, Your all over the forums asking about differnt subject matter. Thats good, shows you really want to learn. That learning curve is playing you for a gluton for punishment. :finga:

For me, I've got two networks here along with two DSL lines. Both networks are sitting behind hardware firewall via the routers built in function along with Nortons OS firewall via Internet Security. I don't use windows firewall and have it disabled. Personal preference.

As for your question:
Letting file and print sharing happen isn't a big deal either then?

I don't have file print and sharing enabled. I move info between machines via 4 GB USB keys. Printing wise, I have a network printer set up on the network with the drivers loaded on each computer I wish to print from.
MOST security hacks suggest not to enable file and print sharing.
It's all about trade offs. Security vs. Convience. Its up to the user to decide the risk- What they want
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

yea, learning curve

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Yea, I'm trying to learn all this stuff, I feel like I've learned alot, but that's the tip of the iceberg. I ask different stuff in (I hope) thre right forums here because people understand that I'm way behind the learning curve and try to tell me in simple, easy steps, instead of the "you don't know that, your a dumbass" tone. No one has led me wrong, is another reason I try and ask the questions here.

I see the trade offs. One problem is, I don't understand how to set a firewall. I only have the MS one. I messed with it way back and then couldn't get to any websites and my games wouldn't work. So it's set on default. I would like to share for convience, but it's probably safer not to set up the network, since without file sharing, I don't see the point, since they all have internet connections. I'll have to get a big thumb drive and just do it like that to swap files, that's easier than burning discs all the time for files that I can't send over email and it seems safer.

I do have another question. Is there a tweak program I can download to set the windows settings that I can't find. Like for instance, if I'm in IE and open a link, it opens as a super small window instead of the full size window. I know there's a setting for that, but can't find it. I know there are other things I need to tweak on a new system, but I need a program or something to tell me what they are and what they do. Any ideas?
Thanks again
40" Toshiba Monitor
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Share what you want - a hacker is not interested in you, unless you host bank accounts, corporate emails, etc :)

Maybe someone will hack you and print stuff out on your printer ;)

I wouldnt share the main drives, just share individual folders, or just 1 folder...

You can also use a VNC program to get things from 1 computer to another without sharing... http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

very nice and FREE program.

Have fun

Mike

OH - I have a dsl router, dlink router, hub, and a wireless access point...dont hack me as I am lame and have nothing anyway..lol
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The prob your having with is is simple.....use firefox instead :finga: :)
no, when you open IE and it's in the small window....just make it bigger, but don't maximise it!!!! then close IE and re-open it......It will reopen again, but it's size will be whatever it was b4 you closed it the last time (if that makes sense?)

Your network issue is simple to fix.....Since all your pc's are connected to the one router, they all share the same IP address range (can see each other...nearly). Infinte already said it, you need to set the workgroup...
R-Clcik my computer and goto properties, then click computer name....make sure you have a unique computer name for every pc, BUT the workgroup needs to be the same for all --> Then you can open "My Network Places" and click "View workgroup computers" on the left.....You should see all you pc's there......
Now to share folders, just r-click on what ever folder you want to share and goto properties and click on sharing @ the top.....don't use the wizard, just click where it says you understand the security risks and choose a name for your share, the name you chose will be what the other pc's see.
The to see the sahred folders open "My Network Places"
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Wow that was easy

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Wow, that was easy. Thanks for making me understand what a hacker is looking for (aka not me).

Ken did it, now I can see the other computers on view network and I can see the folder (music) that I wanted. Now to get it over to my new computer, do I copy and paste, drag and drop, or move this file? Whatever way you tell me, will work for every file on all the compters then also right?

Thanks for everything. This was easy and I'm not too worried about hackers now lol.
40" Toshiba Monitor
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

You should be able to d-click on your music folder and see all the files inside!
The just play them from there.....that way you SHARE the files instead of having multiple coppies!!! :)

Also your router is protecting you from hackers BTW.....
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

another question

Post by sbjlsmtj »

I can see and play the song from the other computer, sounds like crap for some reason though. Settings somewhere I suppose. Sounds good played on the old computer or off my mp3 thru the new computer, but played thru the sharing, sounds like crap.

Also, the main reason I was asking about how to get files over to the new computer is pictures. I like to have pictures on my screen saver of my kids and wife. They are on one of the other computers, so how do I bring them over to the new one?

Good to know that router is helping. I don't do my banking or anything on the this puter anyway, maybe check my account once in a while but that's it.

Thanks
40" Toshiba Monitor
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

If you can see the files, you can copy & paste them
OR
if you need to move them, cut & paste....but make sure the files are not "read-only" -> if they are you need to change the properties of the files on the pc which stores the files....

I don't know why the files sound crappy? They should be the same......unless it's the sound card / speakers on the pc your playing them on?
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

np

Post by sbjlsmtj »

It's probably a sound card issue. The puter I'm playing it off of sounds ok but only has onboard sound, the new puter has Audigy. I copied it over, it sounds great on it, but still sounds like crap playing thru sharing. No biggy though. Now that I can do it, it's no problem. I'll figure it out. I just want's sure on the copy/paste thing lol. Seems weird I can copy from another puter and paste to here. Wow you know, I just may have moved from the first grade to the second LOL.
40" Toshiba Monitor