Cold hand syndrome

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Cold hand syndrome

Post by Fogey »

I find it intereting If I use my track ball hand for a long period of time, it will get colder that my other hand. My son has noticed the same effect with his mouse usage. The cooler I keep it in the house, the faster the difference makes itself known. There are times I have to take a break and go warm up my trackball/mouse hand.

This can be undo distraction when one is hard at it doing scientific research in Doom 3-Half lie 2 etc..
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

I'm no medical examiner, but perhaps laying your arm on the table is hampering the flow of blood to your hand?

Maybe try repositioning yourself at the desk/table. Make sure your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle?

I think -mogwai is going to med school. Maybe he can offer some suggestions.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

samething happens to me from time to time here lately in both hands. I'm pushing 14 years of close to 8-10 hours a day in front of my work station using the mouse with my right hand and typing comands use a spaceball (google it, they are neat) with the left.

I got a better mouse and changed the postion of my hand. insted of my wrist flat on the table I turned it so it was at a 45 almost 90 to the table.

It helps but there are days that I dont move nothing but my mouse had for hours the get cold. but get up move around a bit and get the blood moving and they warm right up.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I would suggest spending a little time on the old treadmill instead of planting yourself behind your computer for hours.... :lol:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

it could be something called reynaud's disease... it's a disorder that affects the bloodflow to the fingers and sometimes to the toes

however, it seems more likely that it's just because your forearm is resting more parallel than your other hand while you play/surf. the reason this is significant is because if one hand is lower than the other, the blood flows to the hand easier, but pumps back harder, which means more blood stays in your hand via "pooling," so to speak. however, when your forearm is parallel, the bloodflow kinda stalls more than it would if it were declined.

also, you're not using the muscles of your arm as much. muscles have various purposes.... one of which is aiding in bloodflow. when muscles contract, they help push blood through the veins by external pressure. also, muscles help generate heat.

when your hand is on your mouse, your hand isn't getting much motion (with respect to your other hand). this means that the muscles in your forearm and hand don't need as much oxygen, which means that they don't need as much bloodflow, which means that it will be more heavily influenced by the external temperatures (room temp.).

another thing that could be affecting this is your overall health. if you're overweight or smoke or don't get much exercise, this could contribute to cardiovascular disease or coronary heart disease. even though you can't tell, your heart is weaker and doesn't pump as it normally should. in addition to that, your lungs don't receive as much oxygen, so your blood doesn't get the oxygen your body needs, which makes your blood "thicker" (for example, imagine pancake batter... you pour water in it and it gets looser, but after a while, you need to stir harder and harder because the batter gets thicker and thicker... so you pour in a little more water and the same exact thing happens all over again..... the batter is your blood and the water is oxygen.... you are the heart.).

also, i'm not exactly in med school... i go to chiropractic school, which is the same thing, except chiropractic school requires 5 years of schooling rather than 4.... and the internships are different.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

I would suggest spending a little time on the old treadmill instead of planting yourself behind your computer for hours....
LOL!

ME, I spend lots of time on the treadmill. Sixteen hours as of late. The work treadmill. Up and down hills. Climbing poles. Putting wire up. All good wholesum outdoor activity. 50 years old, 6"-2"" 185 lbs. Just had my CDL Physical. Good to go. No smoke, No chew, No Coffee. Right now its 64 degrees in here. Doesn't take more than five minutes for my mouse hand to get cold. Might be from the metal edge of the slide out keyboard/mouse tray drawing the heat away from my hand. Other hand, even when typing doesnt get cold. Only my mouse hand while mousing around. Don't have this problem during the summer months. Only during the winter months. Snowing outside as I type this. Come on spring
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Fogey wrote:
I would suggest spending a little time on the old treadmill instead of planting yourself behind your computer for hours....
LOL!

ME, I spend lots of time on the treadmill. Sixteen hours as of late. The work treadmill. Up and down hills. Climbing poles. Putting wire up. All good wholesum outdoor activity. 50 years old, 6"-2"" 185 lbs. Just had my CDL Physical. Good to go. No smoke, No chew, No Coffee. Right now its 64 degrees in here. Doesn't take more than five minutes for my mouse hand to get cold. Might be from the metal edge of the slide out keyboard/mouse tray drawing the heat away from my hand. Other hand, even when typing doesnt get cold. Only my mouse hand while mousing around. Don't have this problem during the summer months. Only during the winter months. Snowing outside as I type this. Come on spring
yeah, it just sounds like it's a circulation issue with your hand. try taking your hand off the mouse more often. once you're done clicking, take your hand off the mouse and place it on your lap. that should do the trick.

also, does your hand go numb? is it a numbing feeling? what part of your hand goes numb, if it does at all? what fingers? it could be that you have some nerve involvement that needs to be remedied by a chiropractic adjustment of your lower neck/upper back. however, based on what you've said so far, i doubt it, but you gotta make sure to check all possibilities.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

No Numbness. Only gets cold. The more I pay attention to the whole issue, I think its got to do with the metal strip along side the keyboard slide out tray When I'm using the mouse the edge of my palm rests on the metal strip. My sons slide out tray is the same way. I'm going to look ito getting a foam mat for the tray. Thanks