Speaker advice (for the pc)

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Speaker advice (for the pc)

Post by grunt »

Ive got the X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card and when i recently moved I sold my old speakers. So now Im looking into another 5.1 system. For the price the list of interest (in order) are as follows. But if any of you have any input or experiences with them let me know.

1. Logitech z-5500
2. Creative Gigaworks ProGamer g500
3. Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra

:roll:

(i do have a coupon to walk in and get the Creative for 40$ off at CircuitCity)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I personally want the Logitech Z-5500 set... I currently have the Z-5300's and have used them 24-7 for well over 1.5 years with no issues at all... they have never even been turned off. I might upgrade, but i haven't even blown anything on these yet. +1 for the Z-5500's

Also after looking at the Creative ProGamer G500 set they look ugly compared to the 5500's. I got my speakers on my desk in plain view, so I want something that fits my decor ;)
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

Glad you picked em :finga:

thx again man
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I have the Klipsch Pro media Ultras and i could never suggest another pair of speakers! I was in the same situation when i was needing some new speakers. http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0 I saw it this way, and also haveing an older pair of klipsch speakers, Klipsh specializes in speakers and sound systems where as logitech does most everything. With an X-fi anything will sound nice no matter that speakers you get. Its whatever your pocket book can support. Again i suggest the Klipsch.

I also have some detailed pictures from the review i never got to if you want to see what it all looks like. THE SUB IS HUUUGE!!!! I can hear it from outside my house when turned up 75% of the way
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

like apop. I got hte logitech 5300. I love the sound that come out of it. the only thing i am not totally fond of is the control. the 5500 has seemed to solve that problem with the remote control. I wouldnt buy any other sound system then logitech. I had the 4 speaker system, traded it to a buddy and got the 5300. I love it.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Klipsch - heard somewhere about bad maps or something blowing out on them - might have been links through newegg.

I would go with the Logitech also - I have them in a saved cart over at zipzoomfly right now - $236 with free shipping - not a bad price.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

Yeah Knight, thats where I ordered mine from. Like a few of the guys here I used the 5300e's and absolutely loved them. Of course thats the whole thing with "upgrading" you always have to go up the next step :ANAL:

By the way Knight, the way you fold turns me on!! j/k lol
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

grunt wrote:By the way Knight, the way you fold turns me on!! j/k lol
oh baby baby

and map = amp in my previous post - I need voice typing :)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
audiodox
Legit User
Legit User

Post by audiodox »

Personally, I have the Klipsch promedias, BEAUTIFUL sound quality - I use'em for games and movies mostly (I switch'em between the computer and entertainment setups when I want to watch a movie with REALLY good surround). Deffinitly a recomended purchase - bought a pair of Klipsch 2.1s for my old computer and haven't switched brands since ^_^
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Well, as the resident audiophile who can't actually afford any of the compenents he wants, I'll throw my opinions into the mix.

Logitech z-5500 - Pretty much the loudest multimedia speakers available. Mid-bass is overemphasized and highs aren't great. These sound better than other Logitech sets though, where the midbass sounds simply awful.

Creative Gigaworks ProGamer g500 - Haven't heard these, so I can't comment specifically, they look a bit like weaker versions of the S750 speakers. The S750 speakers are great, satellites are crisp, better than any other multimedia setups I've heard. The sub doesn't have as much punch as some other systems, but sounds great still, blends in with the sound well.

Klipsch 5.1 ProMedia Ultra - I own these. Satellites aren't quite as crisp as the S750, so I've replaced my front two with a pair of Boston Acoustics CR-67 bookshelves. Best sub of the lot, has dual 8" drivers (creative has 1 8", Logitech 1 10"). Will not sound as boomy as the Logitech sub, but matches it for volume on deep sounds, and is of better quality.

KnightRid wrote:Klipsch - heard somewhere about bad amps or something blowing out on them - might have been links through newegg.
You're correct. The original Klipsch 5.1 system was THX certified, and didn't have the "Ultra" monicker. A bunch of the THX systems had amp problems where all the speakers except for the sub would fail. Klipsch extended the warranty from 1 to 2 years on the THX model for all customers in response to this. The new(er) Klipsch Ultra speakers no longer have the amp defect.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

well, got my z-5500's... from ZZF.. Ive heard the Klipsch, HAD the z-5300's...

OMG I couldnt be happier... They are amazing!!!!