Mac ads

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Mac ads

Post by pcrobot »

Some Mac ads that make fun of PCs... kinda funny.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

What burns me up is how they poke fun at certain things but of course never explain why those things are the way they are.

Take the virus commercial for instance, how the "PC" person is sick with a virus and the "Mac" person (who looks young and hip in comparison to the older balding guy playing the PC [marketing hypnosis at it's best]) is talking about how macs don't get viruses like PCs do, fails to mention why a product or OS would be a target for virus writers to begin with. I mean, lets face it, if your OS is "lesser" and has less of an install base, why program a virus for it? I mean, you're going to want to target as many people as possible right?
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

I hope they show one where you wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for your MAC to get out of sleep mode. Oh wait, they can't possibly provide truth in their advertising - nevermind. :P
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

the part that pisses me off about apple adds is they are total bull... I go to a very music, artsy school so lots and lots of macs.

Im sitting there and my friend just shows me one of the spots, and then goes to work on something. The program crashes and takes his OS with it and he has to reboot. I point this out and he goes... well its not apples fault its the programs... funny because when a program fails on a PC its not MS's fault yet they get blamed.

Second point, another friend is working on her mac, and her typing starts falling behind. I look at her and ask whats going on and she is like... well i have not rebooted my computer in about 3 weeks. 3 weeks... sounds impressive until you find out that i have not rebooted my computer since the last power outage 2 mths ago, and i GAME, edit videos, work on graphics and code on my computer... yet hers starts laging after only 3 weeks of web pages and papers..

The Apple OSX is a better OS, but it is still prone to all the same problems as all other OS's they are not unique and these ads are compleat lies, the difference is cult of apple refuses to blame apple and righty blame the correct problem the software maker, where as in PEECEE world everything is MS's fault.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

where i dont agree with what the adds say and compare the macs to the PC's, i do think it is good marketing how they do it all. only show the good, make them funny and fun to watch. they do a great job of making the macs look hip.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

OOOOhhhhh Mac's run MSOffice! We should all go out and get one!

Whatever.

No games. No expandibility. No customization. Wigets are overrated.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Imakeholesinu wrote:OOOOhhhhh Mac's run MSOffice! We should all go out and get one!
But you forgot the sheer absolute joy of converting from x86 Office Outlook to MAC Office Entourage. :lol: :lol: That actually prevented me from considering Office due to the insane lack of wisdom on Microsoft's part on this. From what I can tell this is what happens to a MAC user in this situation with MS: :axe: The bloody axe is you the user.
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Imakeholesinu wrote:No games. No expandibility. No customization. Wigets are overrated.
Ditto.

Well, at least they stopped with the speed advantage BS and bribed test results now that they swept PPC under the carpet.

On a side note, QuickTime sucks.
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

Well, now that Apple is putting in Intel chips maybe they should change their slogan to:

Mac, it's really just a PC under the hood.

:mrgreen:
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Topher wrote:Mac, it's really just a PC under the hood.
:mrgreen:
A proprietary PoS PC with a proprietary PoS OS. :P

(Whose stability and ease of use are highly exaggerated.)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

that is where i dissagree...

OSX is far more stable and easy of use is unparreled. It has the best window and program management i have ever used. It shows us how bundled programs should function and work together better than anything i have ever seen from MS.

Now is OSX still subject to the same types of probelms as windows... yes if a poorly programed application crashes it can take a mac down just as easy as a PC. If you sleep and wake OSX it will start exhibiting strange behavior, but do that enough times to windows and it also will do simmilar things.

Give a real choice... i chose OSX. Its running on my laptop as we speak and i use it quiet regularyly for my day to day stuff. What i do not use it for is gaming... and this is more because everyone develops for DX and not OpenGL. I blame the game makers for forcing me to play on a windows PC not MS, not apple.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

See, that's the thing, you only use it for day to day stuff.
My dad's old Gateway from 2000 (which happens to have 2000 on it) has been running smoothly for five years now without a single problem. And all he ever uses it for is day to day stuff and school work.

For me, when I was still in high school, the art classes had only Macs, on OS X no less (with a few OS 9 later upgraded to OS X). Had maybe 30+ machines, old and new, with older ones being replaced by new machines every year. Not a week went by that the machines didn't have problems, and all we ever ran was Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, PageMaker, and Premiere(a few of us). (Gray)GSoDs, "Sad Mac"s on bootup, dead mice after no more than a few weeks, monitors that commit suicide, the list just goes on and on. :?

One time we brought in three brand new Dual G5s ($4000 a pop, the entire year's budget), and only two weeks in, one of them suddenly powers off in-class and starts smoking, you could smell it throughout the entire room. And stability... biggest load of bullcrud if I've ever heard any. I once had to do a project over five (yes, FIVE) times because OS X kept crashing right before, or right when I tried to save, and this on one of those Dual G5s no less.

Maybe it's stable for day to day use, but over the course of three years working on dozens of machines, it's my experience that OS X chokes under even the slightest pressure.

I'll put it this way, I spent almost as much time reinstalling the Macs as I did doing work on them.

And yes, we eliminated the power source as a potential problem, the wiring was fine. :P
sparkn
Legit User
Legit User

Post by sparkn »

I use OS X and XP every day in my home. I enjoy and curse at both of them.

Both Apple and Microsoft want to rule the world. The end user is the only one who really suffers.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

If I didn't have to run Windows apps (ie VB.NET) for school I would have gotten a powerbook instead of Dell. They are sweet machines.
Joe
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Id like to see a mac add based on this story

I can just see it now, the old man and the hip young guy are standing on a carpet when the young guy spontaneously combusts and runs around screaming.
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

I so want to see that video.

This pic was apparently taken from the video. Still looking for it.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/ ... 177941.php

And here is the News video with photos.

http://wcco.com/consumer/local_story_148150249.html